• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Realization of being in shape.

TowleY

Reaction score
So alot of you are probably looking at the title wondering what the hell is he talking about. Well bare with me here and read if you would like, the story covers the past 4 or so years of my life from Freshman/Sophmore year in Highschool to Freshman year in college (today)

Ok so here we go, all my life I played soccer so that was some form of cardio I did but it was only a few times a week and obviously not enough. Me, weighing in at about 215~ lbs realized I needed to do more. So I came here, did my think, ran about 5 miles a day. Dropped 40-45 lbs in about 4 months. So this was back in the beginning of sophmore year that I had done this. I continued doing the cardio throughout my junior year and stopped sometime over the summer inbetween junior and senior year. And cut it out more or less completley since then.

Ok so the realization and the link part:
I noticed that while overweight freshman year I was pulling about an 85 average, doing my best.
Sophmore year I was pulling an 85 in the beginning and when I had been running I had instantly pulled my average to about a 93 without trying whatsoever
Now to junior year:
Was a much harder year, still managed to do 90s +. Still never did any work. I ujsed to always sleep during class, listen to my ipod and not doing anything. Just homeworks and taking tests. I remember one of my teachers actually called to tell my mom that I pissed her off because of how smart I was and didnt put in any effort.
Ok now to senior year without any cardio. I gained about 40 lbs back, and still am back up to
~215. My grade from 1st quarter was a 90~ and as I gained the 40lbs back steadily dropped back to about an 85.
Now I am in my first year of college and I think I am noticing the same trend. Struggling to keep a 3.2 but then again the chemistry and biology classes are much tougher.

What do you guys think, does weight, fitness, cardio really matter on intellectual ability or just a coincidence?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sound mind in a sound body; I believe it.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
colin-powell.jpg
But seriously, you likely have more energy, better self esteem, etc. It's affecting every aspect of your life.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nomed

Reaction score
Exercise is form of meditation for me, i just get in that zone, tunnel vision and a blank mind. It's just plain beautiful concentration. At least with cardio and especially strength training, yoga just frustrates the living hell out of me, but it targets your week spots like nothing else.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Or, a simpler explanation could be at play here. When you work out regularly, you develop a routine and you need to manage your time more than before. Meaning, you are less likely to procrastinate and waste your time because you have less of it.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, actually I've thought about this topic on and off over the years, and I really noticed a somewhat similar effect. I realized that when I was working out and being active that it wasn't the performance output (grades, ect.) that really changed, but it was the effort I put into my work to achieve a similar performance level that was higher when I wasn't active.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As preposterous as it sounds, I too have been a victim of this unscientifically based phenomenon.

I suppose I should really up the crunches come finals.

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Hmm, actually I've thought about this topic on and off over the years, and I really noticed a somewhat similar effect.

I realized that when I was working out and being active that it wasn't the performance output (grades, ect.) that really changed, but it was the effort I put into my work to achieve a similar performance level that was higher when I wasn't active.

Exactly, its weird right? Maybe I should get this copyrighted? lol. I feel like your body feels it needs to keep up mentally, as with what its doing physically. If ur body gets lazy, then ur mind will.

I guess the best way to stay in best mental shape is to stay in the best physical shape? After posting this thread first thing I had to do was go running lol
biggrin.gif

And as for erdawe it is scientifically proven that if you do give people free time, they will learn more in school.

For example, giving elementary school kids recess.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Well since I've been unemployed, I've had some time to spend cooking and to go out exercising. I just discovered cheap and good microwaveable frozen veggies..
I've started a mostly vegetable diet (lots and lots of frozen veggies), and started exercising again, ran my first mile in around 4 years the other day, I starting to feel good (a sense of euphoria?) and just plain feeling healthy that I haven't felt before. The sex drive is kicking it self up a notch as well (Now if only I had a girl friend right now).

Highly recommend, eat right and exercise...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads