• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Realistically-priced dress slacks that last well?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Just wondering your long-term experience with the different makes of "dressy" slacks in terms of brands that seem to offer better value for money by not fraying out so fast. My own hope is something "nice" available for less than $100 per pair, maybe $25-40 less! Also, some kind of material that's not real "thin" and flimsy feeling. The crowning touch would be a pair of reasonably stylish slacks that can be machine washed! A lot of the thin-fabric pants seem to "chafe" on me in the "crotch" area and thus wear out fast!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerry52
.a pair of reasonably stylish slacks that can be machine washed.
Dressy and washing machine does not compute.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
If you're ok with pleated and cuffed, look for the dressy wool slacks by Kirkland at Costco.... they run from $35-60 depending on what time of year you buy them and if they are on sale.

Good wool, excellent construction. They do need to be dry cleaned, but they are about the best bargain on dress slacks you can find.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
If you're ok with pleated and cuffed, look for the dressy wool slacks by Kirkland at Costco.... they run from $35-60 depending on what time of year you buy them and if they are on sale.

Good wool, excellent construction. They do need to be dry cleaned, but they are about the best bargain on dress slacks you can find.

Agree with the above. However, I have never seen them marked down, nor have I ever seen them as high as $60. I think they sell for about $46 or $47 these days. I have seven pairs. I have given them hard use, and they're all going strong.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

Even Andy G over at AAAC is a fan of the Costco Kirkland pants.

Really an amazing value;

Here they are

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry - I couldn't remember the exact price, that's why I gave the range.

But they were marked down to $35 about a month ago because I picked up three pairs. They were back to the regular price last weekend when I was at the store.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any flat front, no-cuff, slim cut suggestions? My first instinct is to try Banana Republic on sale, but if there's anything better I'd love to hear it.

Jerry52

Reaction score
When I say dressy AND machine wash, I guess I mean a pair of trousers that's certainly more formal than any kind of blue jean or "work" pant...possibly a so-called "khaki." I guess maybe a sort of "casual dress" pant if that isn't an oxymoron...Nothing as "fancy" as a suit, but far nicer than a typical jean...does THAT compute?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm "not" sure what you mean, "but" I think you should take a "look" at the costco ones, "they" sound pretty decent. Machine "wash" means either cotton "or" dickies, which are "not" dressy.
crackup[1].gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barry Brickens at STP. i've purchased their cords for between $30-40 and i've seen their wool dress slacks at $70. highly highly recommended based on your requirements (well, except for the machine washable thing).

-Jeff

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Anyone have any flat front, no-cuff, slim cut suggestions? My first instinct is to try Banana Republic on sale, but if there's anything better I'd love to hear it.

Try ebay. Brooks Brothers wool trousers in my size (flat front, unfinished) go about 20-30 dollars + shipping.

Jerry52

Reaction score
OK, in pants I know that most generally all "wool" which IS considered the most stylish is dry clean, like most cashmeres in sweaters are dry clean. But there SHOULD be other machine wash materials besides cotton or "dickies." I mean, there are a LOT of different fabrics, aren't there? Not only is dry cleaning inconvenient (taking it out to be done) but it keeps adding cost to the original purchase!

tbone226

Reaction score
Hugo Boss trousers from ebay are in your price range...

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a department store like Macys, they should have plenty of cotton-poly blend "dress" slacks that fit your requirements. They'll be under 100 dollars, they'll be machine washable (I think, I don't know for sure since I don't have any), and they should be thicker material.

Otherwise, khakis are all cotton, machine washable, and can be had fairly cheaply (like at Old Navy or similar places for about 20 or 30 dollars retail).

Wool will generally feel thin, even a "thick" wool flannel, compared to cotton khakis. Wool will need to by dry cleaned. Same with silk. Wool just looks and feels better, and the proper weight wool can be comfortable no matter what the temperature.

As for my long term experience, good khakis and good wool trousers are both necessary, and both last quite a long time if you care for them. Wool can be made quite thin, and that is when they end up wearing out quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads