• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Realistic Expectations for Tailoring a Suit

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
So two years ago, I bought a navy Hart Schaeffer Marx suit at Macy's for my medical school interviews. I think the fabric is pretty nice, but I've grown to realize that the jacket needs some waist suppression, and the pants are rather baggy on me.

So, two questions:

I plan on taking it to a fairly conservative shop here in New Orleans, Perlis. Do you think conservative men's stores even do alterations like waist suppression? I say this considering the rather boxy fit most men use for business dress.

Also, would you guys think that it is even worth trying to get the pants "slimmed down" in the fit through the legs? Is this ever done?

I imagine that it might just be cheaper to wait and get a new suit for residency interviews after next year.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you are asking about can certainly be done by a good tailor. As to whether it is worth is, I think it depends on how much you like the suit. Others on this forum should know what this would cost. I would say seek out a tailor separate from a men's store with some kind of experience in this sort of thing. Again, maybe someone here can recommend one. If you think your suit looks "dated" a tailor can slim it down, but won't be able to do anything about the lapel width, for example, which may contribute to it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waist suppression on a jacket is easy and one of the basics of mens suit alteration. If they seem like they are unsure, take it somewhere else who can. There are plenty.

You can certainly slim a pair of trousers but personally I would only do this slightly, and crotch downward. I recently tried to get a vintage pair of pants slimmed from 9" to 7" cuff opening and it just doesn't look quite right (although still wearable). If I were to do it again I would go something more moderate like 8".

I wouldn't trust any tailor to slim the seat area of trousers unless you know they can do it right.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! No, I don't think the suit looks outdated, save for the fit. Obviously not "fashion forward" but I'd say classic. I just saw the post from JeffWoods' suit alterations in another thread, and all I can say is HOLY COW! I did not realize alterations can make that big of a difference.

I certainly want to get the legs trimmed, probably not the seat though. Oh, and the pleats deleted too.

I did some searching for tailors in New Orleans in the archives, and all I found were "Martinez Tailor's" in Baton Rogue, and that Henry Poole from London travels sometimes (not gonna happen
smile.gif
)

Any esteemed members have experience with a tailor in the New Orleans metro area? Also, I frequently make trips to Memphis, so that could be an option too.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Yes, it can be done-not a problem. But, I think finding a person who knows how to do it correctly will be more of a problem. I doubt the dept. store tailor will even take on the task. When you find someone that you feel is qualified- ask them what it will cost. If you only have one suit, and it is for interviews for medical school-pretty important. I think that you would want to look your best.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
Thanks for your replies! No, I don't think the suit looks outdated, save for the fit. Obviously not "fashion forward" but I'd say classic. I just saw the post from JeffWoods' suit alterations in another thread, and all I can say is HOLY COW! I did not realize alterations can make that big of a difference. I certainly want to get the legs trimmed, probably not the seat though. Oh, and the pleats deleted too. I did some searching for tailors in New Orleans in the archives, and all I found were "Martinez Tailor's" in Baton Rogue, and that Henry Poole from London travels sometimes (not gonna happen
smile.gif
) Any esteemed members have experience with a tailor in the New Orleans metro area? Also, I frequently make trips to Memphis, so that could be an option too.

Eh, try Mr. Henry http://local.botw.org/Louisiana/New_...c/9294326.html I'm from New Orleans as well, and I been meaning to check out Mr. Henry for a while. But I keep delaying on getting my suit. Trying get into Tulane or LSU med school?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely Rubenstein Bros. offers tailoring for garments not purchased at their store. I've bought several sportcoats from them and the alterations seemed well-done.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
^^^^ Cool, thanks! I'll actually try both Mr. Henry and Rubenstein Bros. to see what's up.

Actually I'm at Tulane med right now - no real need to fix the suit at this very moment. I think I've just been coming on SF too much lately and getting jealous of all the WAYWT pics.

PS I know they are the more popular songs off the album, but "Respiration" and "Definition" are serious songs off the Blackstar record!

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awesome man. Yeah man...I know how you feel about looking thru those waywt. I'm 19 years old and I probably have more brown dress shoes then anything.

I thought I was the only New Orleans lurker in sf =p

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you might want to save your cash for a new residency interview suit... ALSO - just so you know, most places wont care what suit you are wearing. What are you applying for?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although I do empathize and want to get some of my dress pant legs slimmed too. I saw Jeff Wood's post and i thought, holy crap too... too bad he is in 'couver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads