• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
As a menswear designer I have files upon files of "tears", images I have torn out of magazines, books, photographs etc over the years to serve as inspiration for a later date. I often don't know exactly what it is about the image that speaks to me at the time. Later though they are a constant reference point when starting a project. I go into the files with a concept in mind and pull every image that is relevant for consideration and inspiration. Often completely altering the concept once I start digging and the inspiration strikes. The problem with this imagery is it is often well known imagery, either of a celebrity or style icon. Leading me to be inspired by the same images as my competitors even if our takeaways are different.

Recently my dad has been scanning all of my grandfathers photo slides to digital. It has been a treasure trove of menswear inspiration. I thought I would start a thread to share these never before seen images so we could all get inspiration from something "new"/old. If you have an awesome pic of your grandfather in an original pilot jacket, your second uncle on safari in the 70s, so on and so on please feel free to share.

Maybe this type of thread already exists, if so please let me know and I will just participate in that thread instead.

Please no well known images, celebrities, or style icons. Just photos of friends or family.

Reaction score
This first one is of my grandfather, dad, and uncle at the lake in the late 50s. Matching printed, bound edged swim sets! This is just awesome. The pajama top is a trend, but haven't seen anyone go as far as matching pajama piped or bound swimwear. I feel like Orlebar Brown needs to make this happen asap! What do you think these are made out of?!? It was the 50s so I doubt poly or nylon was used in this way yet. Cotton...wool?!?
076036.jpg

Reaction score
This is a photo of my dad's uncle Mike and aunt Rose. I am floored by my uncle Mike's outfit! Todd Snyder could send this look down the runway for fall and it would kill! A tipped shawl collar pullover with 3"-ish rib cuffs and waist is gorgeous especially with his rise that high on the trousers. Look at that or lack there of break with the white socks! Sorry, I know this is a lot of exclamation marks but come on! Also, some might find that watch a little feminine for modern times, but with the cuff stacked just right and a cig in hand it looks perfect. Based on their age in this photo we are thinking this is mid to late 50s.
Uncle_Mike_and_Aunt_Rose.jpg

Reaction score
They are standing next to a Renault 4 CV, a car that was very rare in the US
but very popular in Europe. Where was the photo shot ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault 4CV
I just got the scoop. So, it was my Uncle Mike's dad's car. That he let Rose and Mike borrow for their honey moon to Ohio. My uncle Mike says his dad bought it new from a Chevy dealership in Virginia.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Great pics. Much as I am inspired by and , collect’ the period fashion plates like Fellowes’, real people pics are ultimately a better guide to what did and can still obtain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads