1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Real Hermes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gtg689a, Jul 31, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This tie is real.

1 person likes this.
  2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Now the thread gets interesting.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4. mktitsworth

I don't doubt it. My guess is that you've seen more Hermes ties than most, both real and fake, and have a good eye for such things.

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Lining and handiwork looks real, but what about this info?

The tie doesn't look like a scarf pattern tie.

And what about this?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  6. SpooPoker

This is where you need hands on experience, not just inter web 101.

Hermes scarf ties have this labels, but what most of you don't know is that their woven ties also bear this label, and have the woven Hermes in the skinny end like this one does. 99% of what you see for resale on eBay is the horse and carriage silk twill ties, but their woven ties, like this one, are a unique breed. You don't see them often. Id sell this any day as authentic, and purchase it as such. I have had over 30 of these woven ties, and still do. Im in shorts and t shirts all week at the beach, so I can't take a pic, but someone remind me to next week, I will show you. '

Strictly for the "mainline" of ties. That quote you quoted is from someone who knows only the whimsical ties.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Spoo, you always follow through... Veritable SF patron saint!

8. mktitsworth

I am proven right on two counts.

9. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    this +1... i have seen plenty of what spoo is describing in Hermes stores around the world, the last time i remember seeing was in the airport in london, terminal 3!!!

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yes, the tie in the original post is real.

Hermes uses that black label on their non-printed ties, including the woven jacquard and silk/cotton blends.

Also note the seller is dealing exclusively in used merchandise, and is able to obtain top market prices and maintain 100% positive feedback which is usually a good sign.

Typically NWT branded stuff coming out of S.E. Asia requires some scrutiny, but there are a good amount of small collectors/vendors of the authentic stuff on Ebay from these countries as well.

11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

How much was this tie? Seems a heck of a lot of effort for $24.99.

12. SpooPoker

Looks like he won the auction for $79.99.

13. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I already sent this concern Spoo's way, but I wonder if there are any Hermes afficinados on this forum the way he is with Versace. I've contacted the seller and am waiting to hear back. I can't find any definitive proof that this was ever a Hermes item in stores as their online stock is limited to current season product. Any help would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200707877311

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I'm not an expert or aficionado by any means but things like this on eBay always strike me as suspect... I would assume fake until proven otherwise. The buckle seems "off" to me tho'.

15. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Im not sure where you live. But if you go to their NYC store on Madison and show them a link to this auction on your phone, they can tell you if its from a past season. I once inquired about a tie from an ebay aucfion, and showed them a link to the auction, they said it was from 4 or 5 years ago and didnt carry it anymore, but they verified it was authentic it was some "midnight in Paris" one. The sales people there especially the ones who have worked there for years would be able to recognize it.

16. SpooPoker

As we have PM'd, its most certainly fake. Just noting it publicly here.

17. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Just bad timing, mate.

I sold almost all my personal collection of Hermes print and woven ties in the last few months; currently, the only ones I use are an orange print with brown lines and an orange silk knit, which coincidentally, happens to be 'Made in Germany', not France, and possibly by the same mob that does Drakes knit ties (same crunchy feel). Goes to substantiate what Spoo said: Experience and not the interwebz.

Will check if I have any left... seem to remember an orange with blue Hs woven, and maybe a red print.

CEP

P.S. These would ALL have been from the Hermes boutique in Sydney, so I'll be checking on the veracity of the so-called spot-the-fakes guides tonight. Will update everyone tomorrow...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  18. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I don't know this seller personally, but I'm a resident of Bangkok. I'm sorry that this happens to you as I would not wish this happen to anyone, so please let me know if I can be any of your assistant.

I believe this case would be solved best if you contact eBay directly, but if all things fail (Hopefully, it does not), please let me know what you would like me to do.