• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Estate prices-are we at the bottom yet

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's regional, but no.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
it's regional, but no.

+1.

I'd say they generally still have 10-15% further to go.

That being said, if you're in an area where supply is tight and prices relatively stable, it's a good time to buy if you're able to lock in at a super low 30 year rate, and you're in for the long term.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
+1.

I'd say they generally still have 10-15% further to go.

That being said, if you're in an area where supply is tight and prices relatively stable, it's a good time to buy if you're able to lock in at a super low 30 year rate, and you're in for the long term.

Just did this exact thing. Thirty-years at 5%. My mortgage is $770/month for a kickass house.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think all this stimulus mixed with strange incentives (taxes, cheap money, etc) will drag out the bottom. If the market were free to correct, it would probably go down another 10% in the next 18 months, but instead, we'll just see 0% growth for 3 straight years.

tom288

Reaction score
Everything I've heard from people says we won't hit the bottom until closer to the end of the year. Thats a rough guess, and I'm no expert, just what realtors have told me.

jefe

Reaction score
Residential realtors, as a group, are not generally the world's brightest people.

And no we haven't hit the bottom yet, but there are good deals to be had that will still be good deals when we do hit bottom.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Just did this exact thing. Thirty-years at 5%. My mortgage is $770/month for a kickass house.

Refinancing at 4.875% in Atlanta. My current rate is 1% higher.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Just a little more background info. I'm looking in central jersey (near princeton) and the owners are giving a final offer 60K below what it was in December. Think I should hold out?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcdenim
depends where...

...in February sales rose their highest in 6 years... lot of distressed properties are being scooped up, whether it gets better before it gets worse again is anyones guess.

Yes, it is entirely local. My market here is pretty stable. Might even see the beginning of an escalation, especially in the first-time buyer price range.

My book of business is really, really full right not with first-timers; they are all chasing that $8K rebate check. I read where Minneapolis sales are up 6% over 2008, with first-timers making up 1/2 of the volume.

The feds pouring money into the first-time buyer rebate has really helped my market. And it is churning the market as well as people sell to first-timers and move up.

Originally Posted by jefe
Residential realtors, as a group, are not generally the world's brightest people.
Careful there, pal.

jefe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

Careful there, pal.

Ok, that was unfair. There are exceptions to every rule, but you can't defend the industry's willingness to market 'objective advice'. The NAR is stupefyingly optimistic and as much as I dislike most things conservative media, this video sums it up pretty nicely:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
read an article today on a 3br, 2 bath westhampton house that sold for 480k. what the ****? where to kop?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
...The NAR is stupefyingly optimistic and as much as I dislike most things conservative media, this video sums it up pretty nicely.
I'm fairly certain this violates in some fashion my code of "ethics" (wink wink nudge nudge) but the National Association of RealtorsÂ
00ae.png
sucks. The monthly magazine makes the quickest trip possible from my mailbox to File 13.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^No.
A house closed upon 1 Jan 09 to 30 Nov 09 qualifies for a flat-out rebate.
Last year was a "loan".

If you sell the house you buy this year after less than 36 months of ownership, you've got to pay it back, however.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some of the more stable markets are already at bottom, and some might even be inching up as the incentives, rebates, etc... are making it incredibly attractive to get into a house right now. the big if, is if you can get approved for a loan, which my realtors tell me is scuttling more deals than anything right now. I think we hit the full bottom the minute the banks start to relax the credit. Obviously not to sub prime or alt-a, but just a little more, allow the 90-95% with good credit back in, and i think it takes off like a rocket again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics