• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real bespoke for 2-3000 in NYC (traveling tailors included)

GITU

Reaction score
There's Leonard Logsdail who will do his MTM (only difference is the construction is done off site) for 3000.

Steed
Steven Hitchcock
Thomas Mahon (though he seems a bit too exclusive)
David Reeves (construction done off site)

What other NYC tailors are in this price range? Or a traveling tailor?

Thanks.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan. Also, I don't think Thomas Mahon is taking new clients.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Solito and Volpe are both under $3K.

GITU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Solito and Volpe are both under $3K.

Can you provide contact info and full names for both, haven't heard of them. What's your impression of either?

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GITU
Can you provide contact info and full names for both, haven't heard of them. What's your impression of either?

Please use the search function.

TC11201

Reaction score

Try [email protected]. Mina Adamo acts as an agent of sorts for them - tailoring is done in Naples, Mina travels to NYC often (6x+ per year) to see clients, take measurements, make adjustments, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You can contact Volpe through Mina. I actually don't know how to contact Solito. I correspond with his travelling partner Salvatore Ambrosi, who posts on SF as "Ambrosi."

GITU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You can contact Volpe through Mina. I actually don't know how to contact Solito. I correspond with his travelling partner Salvatore Ambrosi, who posts on SF as "Ambrosi."

Thanks. I just saw your post of Volpe's work - looks very nice indeed. And a great price!

How do you compare Volpe and Rubinacci?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think I have only seen one completed Volpe, and not on its owner, only a on a hanger. It is more "EYE-talian" than Rubinacci, much more Napoli looking. Extremely rounded and cut away quarters for instance.

Solito looks (to me) quite a bit like Rubinacci, and a lot quiter than Volpe. I think Solito makes a range of things, though, and what I asked for probably turned out like Rubinacci. The old man (Gennaro) wears extremely draped clothing. The son (Luigi) wears a trim cut. Mine is in the middle.

These are based on very small sample sizes, so treat with caution.

GITU

Reaction score
Thanks for yours.

After doing a lot of digging, I read Solito has a time delivery problem. Did you have any issue?

How many fittings is required? If I go to Naples, do you know if the price will be less? I could possibly do it over a summer as I spend my summers in the south of France.

To contact Solito, I need to contact Ambrosi, correct? Does Ambrosi make Solito's trousers? Either it was a joke - or did I read properly?

On a more practical matter, how difficult was it for you to find their shops? When I went to Napoli, it took about 2h by bus and a lot of confused walking to find Rubanacci. And then they booted me as it was lunch time.

Do you know both of these tailor's ages? I'm young, and want to have a long relationship. Will they send swatches for repeat customers?

I read your concern about having too much drape due to your youth - and I realise this question is subjective and hope others will chime in - but why do they decide to use more drape on an individual than another? Is it based on physique? Or age?

Can you explain the "eyeness" of Volpe? And if possible, could you take a few photos of Solito's suits, so I could get a better idea. I saw some photos, but not many, and would really appreciate it. Do you know anyone on this board who owns a Volpe suit? I'd like to ask the same of them...

Thanks!

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Also, I don't think Thomas Mahon is taking new clients.

He's also discontinuing his US visits after spring 2010.

--Andre

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your usage of the question mark was fantastic. How do you feel about exclamation points? Work it in.

Thanks for yours.

After doing a lot of digging, I read Solito has a time delivery problem. Did you have any issue?

How many fittings is required? If I go to Naples, do you know if the price will be less? I could possibly do it over a summer as I spend my summers in the south of France.

To contact Solito, I need to contact Ambrosi, correct? Does Ambrosi make Solito's trousers? Either it was a joke - or did I read properly?

On a more practical matter, how difficult was it for you to find their shops? When I went to Napoli, it took about 2h by bus and a lot of confused walking to find Rubanacci. And then they booted me as it was lunch time.

Do you know both of these tailor's ages? I'm young, and want to have a long relationship. Will they send swatches for repeat customers?

I read your concern about having too much drape due to your youth - and I realise this question is subjective and hope others will chime in - but why do they decide to use more drape on an individual than another? Is it based on physique? Or age?

Can you explain the "eyeness" of Volpe? And if possible, could you take a few photos of Solito's suits, so I could get a better idea. I saw some photos, but not many, and would really appreciate it. Do you know anyone on this board who owns a Volpe suit? I'd like to ask the same of them...

Thanks!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go over the bridge to Brooklyn...Ercoles can hook you up with a complete suit for under $2k...and all the work is done right in the back of his shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads