• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ready to Wear Modified Last

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
In search of a well-fitting higher end RTW shoe, Â I attended an Edward Green "order" show (not to be confused with the bespoke trunk show) and spoke with a fitter in November 2004. The fitter measured my foot, and said that I was a UK 6.5E. Â This surprised me greatly, because the UK 8E he had me slip on was much too tight across the instep. Â I thought it was just too narrow. The fitter noted that I have a "tall" foot, and theorized that I probably choose shoes that are too big, mistaking their roominess in height for roominess in width. Â He recommended that I order a 7.5E, and offered to modify the stock last by building up the top of the last by 3/16" of an inch. Â I ordered the Ladbroke, size 7.5E, 888 last, in dark oak. The shoes came last week. Â I tried them on in the store, but am still trying to work up the courage to wear them outside. Â The fit appeared good. I have posted several pictures below. The pair: The pair: The Ladbroke from the front: The Ladbroke from the side, showing the increased height in the toe box: Another side shot: An angled shot of the toe: The Ladbroke (888 last size 7.5E, modified last) on top compared with a Green captoe (888 last, size 8 E, stock last): The Ladbroke next to the captoe: The Ladbroke next to the captoe: The Ladbroke next to the captoe: If I have one complaint, it would be a small scar in the leather on the heel counter. I have heard reference to fat wrinkles and scars from one calf goring another. Â I don't know whether either of these caused the horizontal scar in the leather: Shot of inside window and heel scar: Bic

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting on how they could modify the last for you. Funny how he said you were a 6.5 but suggested a 7.5 though... I'm glad they fit well.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes Bic. Have you worn them yet?
smile.gif
The modified last certainly looks taller than the standard 888, however, it still looks quite nice and elegant in my opinion. From the top, you really can't tell the difference.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks T4phage:

I tried the shoes on in the store, but have not worn them for real yet.

The black cap toe in the picture pinches the tops of my feet.  I believe that the modified last should resolve that painful problem.

Do you think the built up toe is "elegant nose," or "ice breaker beak?"

Bic

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks T4phage: I tried the shoes on in the store, but have not worn them for real yet. The black cap toe in the picture pinches the tops of my feet. Â I believe that the modified last should resolve that painful problem. Do you think the built up toe is "elegant nose," or "ice breaker beak?" Bic
Oh, the nose is definitely still elegant even though it is has been built up. No icebreaker that..
tounge.gif

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Very interesting on how they could modify the last for you.  Funny how he said you were a 6.5 but suggested a 7.5 though...  I'm glad they fit well.
I think that he said I was a 6.5 in length, but had the width of a 7....(Judging by the size I seem to gravitate toward, I have the foot height of an 8.5)

Bic

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phenomenal. The colour is just right too. I dare say you'll be enjoying them for some time.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bic,

The shoes are wonderful. From the pictures, they certainly don't seem to have lost any of the aesthetic characteristics. And I agree, the colour is fantastic.

Did you attend the EG show somewhere in Japan? If so, could you post the details of where and how you found out about it. (I'm in Kansai but there may be a similar event here; or I could take the shinkansen up to Tokyo).

guitone

Reaction score
They look great...all shoes should offer roominess in the toes, that is sure as heck what I need on many styles that I try. I just am curious, are these totally custom or are these RTW, I am not clear, and if RTW how do they modify them?

Thank you

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
They look great...all shoes should offer roominess in the toes, that is sure as heck what I need on many styles that I try.  I just am curious, are these totally custom or are these RTW, I am not clear, and if RTW how do they modify them?

Thank you
They are not totally custom.  My understanding is that at the factory, they affixed a 3/16" piece of leather to the top of the RTW last (the wooden form that the leather is built up around to make the shoe) to make it taller.  The leather that was built up around this modified last formed a shoe that was 3/16" taller than its cousins that would have been made on the unmodified RTW last.

The result is not a bespoke shoe, but a RTW shoe that has been modified to a degree to accomodate my feet.

Bic

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Very nice shoes. Without the side by side pics it's hard to tell they're modified.

redtree00

Reaction score
Bic,

They are beautiful shoes, very elegant.
How much were the shoes ?
Was there an additional charge for this modification ?
Thanx,

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Bic,

They are beautiful shoes, very elegant.
How much were the shoes ?
Was there an additional charge for this modification ?
Thanx,
Thanks redtree.

There was no additional charge for this modification, but I suppose that Green could charge depending on how easy the modification is.

I ordered them through at the pattern order show at a (very expensive) department store in Japan. The department store charged me Japanese prices for stock Greens, an ordering fee, and 5% Japanese sales tax.

I am sure that they would have been cheaper had I ordered through a US retailer, or from Green directly.

Bic

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Just want to say that those shoes are friggin' beautiful. They almost made me want to cuss. Love the color, love them period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads