• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ready to Spree: What to expect?

Henry Mein

Reaction score
I've been looking around for the right store/look. I'm ready to drop what's for me a signifcant amount (low 5-figures) on around 10 shirts, 3 pairs of shoes and a few (probably three) jackets and maybe five ties. I'm pretty sure on where I want to go. My question is -- what can I expect from the sales person given that I'm making a large(ish) purchase. I'd like it if they threw in a couple pocket squares/polos given the amount I'm spending. Is this unreasonable? Is there an ettiquette to this?

I've been browsing stores for a while looking for the right place, but I'm a solitary browser -- not too much help from salemen (I try stuff on now and then). In fact I don't really like the salesman I've seen when I've looked in the store (I've gotten dlisaproving looks). I feel silly turning over the comission money to a guy a really do not like.

Any coments on either what to expect? My mind is pretty made up on putting all my eggs for the year in one basket, but if many people think this is a terrible mistake then I'll reconsider.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Henry,

Welcome to the forum. It would greatly help if you could mention what city you are planning to do your shopping in. I am sure that some forum members could recommend which shops would have the most professional/ knowledgeable sales staff.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're spending even 10,000 I suggest making an appointment with a personal shopper. I would highly recommend saks fifth avenue or barneys in new york city for this-- i mean, if you're spending 10k or more, go to The Source, right? actually, I think saks in NYC would be perfect for what you're looking for and the personal shoppers area looks really cool.

Explain to the personal shopper what you're looking for, your sizes, etc. and they will personalize the experience for you. they will pre-select items to show you, while you drink a coke or a glass of wine in a private area. they only receive commissions for what you purchase, no fees to you, but they have the run of the store (to include edward green shoes, brioni and isaia suits.....the list goes on and on). they will also likely select the best tailor in the store to alter your items, and other small but important touches to the experience.

will they 'throw in' a pocketsquare, polo shirt, etc.? no. i don't think they will, and i wouldn't ask. be cool, have a great shopping experience, and bump up your wardrobe, having fun while you do it.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saks, Barneys and Bergdorfs all have personal shoppers who can help you to put things together.

Henry Mein

Reaction score
Was thinking of going to Vacca (NYC), does this change anything? Would a personal shopper at one of the Dept. stores be better?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Mein
Was thinking of going to Vacca (NYC), does this change anything? Would a personal shopper at one of the Dept. stores be better?

If you want to get fleeced, go to Vacca. If you want to get good value for your money and don't mind spending more time, I would not spend all my budget in one store. Much better to pick and choose items from different stores.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation of spreading your business between multiple stores. 10k would actually afford, maybe, three jackets at Vacca during the currrent sale. At full retail prices, the purchases outlined in your spree would approach 20k.

Barney's or Bergdorf would be much better suited to handle your shopping needs. They both stock an assortment of brands, Bergdorf in particular, to match a variety of sartorial tastes. Thankfully, both stores are located within short walking distance.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
If you want to get fleeced, go to Vacca. If you want to get good value for your money and don't mind spending more time, I would not spend all my budget in one store. Much better to pick and choose items from different stores.
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
+1

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
crackup[1].gif
crackup[1].gif
+1

Unlike, say, getting your suits, odd jackets, shirts, and wife's coat and upcoming suit at one shop in Naples
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Unlike, say, getting your suits, odd jackets, shirts, and wife's coat and upcoming suit at one shop in Naples
devil.gif

Just suits and jackets. One shirt just to try. Maybe some ties.
devil.gif
I get shirts, pants, sweaters, shoes etc elsewhere.
devil.gif
anyway, I was laughing about Vacca.
wink.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Just suits and jackets. One shirt just to try. Maybe some ties.
devil.gif
I get shirts, pants, sweaters, shoes etc elsewhere.
devil.gif
anyway, I was laughing about Vacca.
wink.gif

I gotcha, but had to getcha
biggrin.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I gotcha, but had to getcha
biggrin.gif

I edited out the random prick, asshole ect comments from my post before you replied. Oh well.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I edited out the random prick, asshole ect comments from my post before you replied. Oh well.
You can send that stuff to me over PM, it'll be fine, and I promise not to start a website exclusively about what pricks everyone on the forum are and how I'm going to sue j. for allowing that kind of libel in a public space.

Sorry, have we derailed this thread yet?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another obvious choice if you're going for a "look" would be to go to Alan Flusser, where he can get you custom shirts, jackets, plus (somewhat overpriced) Edward Green shoes, and they can help put together outfits for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads