Ready for shoe refinish experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SylvesterPennoyer, Aug 17, 2004.

1. SylvesterPennoyer

SylvesterPennoyer Member

I read with great interest Shoefan's thread on leather refinishing. I would like to try an experiment with a pair of shoes. These are Allen Edmonds I bought on steep discount. They are very comfortable, but too clunky as a dress shoe, and the burgundy, slightly shiny finish doesn't work for casual wear. I would like to refinish them into something more casual - more brown, less shiny. A chestnut brown would be ideal, but it does not seem like that would be possible as it would be too light a color to go to. I will be applying the acetone in the next couple of days, and would appreciate any advice and comments on the process and potential shoe creams for refinishing. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. SylvesterPennoyer

SylvesterPennoyer Member

3. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

Sorry about the late reply. I've been on vacation.

I don't really have much to add to what I've posted. My tests seemed, in general, to yield a shoe that was perhaps 1 "shade" of leather lighter than the original. My only comment is that if that leather is a casual, "oiled" or "waxed" leather, the refinishing may not work. If it is AE's "cobbler" leather, then it should work okay.

Let us know how it turned out.