• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading thread

rjbman

Reaction score
Since Recent Purchases has started devolving into a book discussion thread, I figured it'd be better to just have a separate thread for discussing whatever SW&D is reading. So go ahead.

For me personally, currently reading Where I'm Calling From by Raymond Carver:

Book of a bunch of his short stories, very good.

After that I've got Selected Stories by Philip K. Dick:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
on the list:

count zero by william gibson
fear and loathing on the campaign trail '72 by hunter s thompson
need to finish caro's robert moses biography

vegs

Reaction score
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Not liking it as much as I did The Road, but still good.
Next up is probably the last novel in the Foundation series (sci fi), Foundation and Earth.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Chomsky Foucault debate on human nature. If you've seen the vid this doesn't add much more, a few texts from each author.

I thought of Teger when reading omnes et singulatim so maybe he should read that (it is available online). It's a Foucault text on state, the shepherd and "police".

Last edited:

Dirty Gurty

Reaction score
I just finished The Clockwork Universe and Kitchen Confidential (both were excellent) and am currently re-reading The Great Gatsby and about to start on Unknown Pleasures: Inside Joy Division by Peter Hook.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Not liking it as much as I did The Road, but still good.
Next up is probably the last novel in the Foundation series (sci fi), Foundation and Earth.

this is a wrong opinion :(

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just started Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End Leif GW Persson - not sure I'll get through it as the translation from Swedish doesn't seem very well done.

kashmir

Reaction score
last year was the year that I started to read (English or translated into English books) again. being SE Asian I had a lot to catch up, literary-wise, to most western bibliography... and probably skewed by whatever's locally available

I started with Umberto Eco's Prague Cemetery and now on to Foucault's Pendulum. I had a hunch that his writing would engross me by multifolds had I known a little more about European history. Finished Unbearable Lightness of Being last week and actually stepped back in time and started reading Beyond Good and Evil.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

last year was the year that I started to read (English or translated into English books) again. being SE Asian I had a lot to catch up, literary-wise, to most western bibliography... and probably skewed by whatever's locally available

I started with Umberto Eco's Prague Cemetery and now on to Foucault's Pendulum. I had a hunch that his writing would engross me by multifolds had I known a little more about European history. Finished Unbearable Lightness of Being last week and actually stepped back in time and started reading Beyond Good and Evil.

Nah. Foucault's pendulum is a bloated ************* writing. The guy is a brilliant semiologist but he writes popular novels that can be tedious. I liked the name of the rose.

Rompson

Reaction score
Just finished The Forever War by John Haldeman. Read it all on my iPhone. :hide:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Name of the Rose was decent but never could get through Foucault's Pendulum.

Currently reading 1Q84 by Murakami and then have Harvest by Jim Crace on deck.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Currently reading In the Dust of This Planet by Eugene Thacker, and then on to David Nutt's Drugs - Without the Hot Air.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads