1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Reading thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rjbman, Feb 16, 2013.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wow, I miss this thread...

And also reading the way I used to. I'm crunched for time these days, and have made few literary discoveries. I have managed to find a few worthwhile comics, though. They are:

The Vision. Tom King, a former counter-terrorism worker and author of the novel A Once Crowded Sky, takes Marvel's Vision character and moves him into the suburbs along with the 'sythnthezoid' family he creates. The ruminative plot is slow-moving and actionless, and contains none of the cheesy hijinks you would expect, instead focusing on deeper themes of love, family, commitment, public vs. private self, and the nature of humanity, just to name a few. The tone is dark and sad, and I was just really impressed by this one. All twelve issues are completed, too, so you can read it in one go.

Paper Girls. A period/sci-fi piece from Brian K. Vaughan, best known for Saga and his Y: The Last Man series. Set in 1988, just after Halloween, the story follows a group of paper delivery girls who get wrapped up in some odd shenanigans. Great characters and period details -- this one was recommended to me as a fan of the show Stranger Things, and the 80s in general. (Still ongoing, not sure about the overall plans for this one...)

Jessica Jones. A continuation of Brian Bendis's limited Alias book from back in the day, which is my favorite graphic thing ever, brought back to capitalize on the recent Netflix show. Thankfully, it's true to the old series and character: Jessica Jones is a cranky, middle-aged former quasi-superhero turned detective who's personal life is in shambles. She interacts with famous Marvel characters, though these are presented in a much more complex and adult way, and used to explore things other than punching. Bendis is my favorite dialogue writer, with a style learned from people like David Mamet and Tony Kushner, and when he's on his game, he really shines, IMHO. Only 4-5 issues so far, but I'm hoping we end up with something like the original.

*spelling and grammar issues courtesy of my shitty phone.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  2. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

insta-cop, thanks (not sarcastic)

1 person likes this.