• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading thread

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Would you recommend reading all three at once? I'm debating powering through or maybe sliding one other book in between each one.

Last edited:

brightorangetrousers

Reaction score
Maybe break it up with some of his shorter stuff?

His (I think) very last piece--Stirrings Still--is accessible, beautiful and very short.

_cameosis_

Reaction score
anything by raymond queneau -- start with "zazie in the metro" or "excercises in style" -- and if you can, read it in french, because that's what's up.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hmm. Would you recommend reading all three at once? I'm debating powering through or maybe sliding one other book in between each one.

Anything before the trilogy I would not read all at once. :(

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some stuff i read recently:

9809.jpg

Cool and trippy. A quick read and some cool ideas that verge on jaeden smith fake deep but they're fun to think about.

depressing as ****

Really well written and generally terrifying. I liked the feminist take on the dystopian novel a lot and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes scifi.

Interesting, but dense and hyper referential. Like, i'd really like it if i cared more, if that made sense?

Currently re-reading neuromancer for fun. God I love that book, though I forgot how over-written it is.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just started:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Lem is awesome, highly recommend The Cyberiad.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember liking that one a lot as a kid, but I was slightly devastated to see what he did with Daredevil; as if everything in the 80s had to feature some kind of ninja storyline, or worse, a full-scale retcon where -- surprise! -- Daredevil and Wolverine are actually ninjas! :fu:

Otherwise, his reading of of Superman seemed pretty spot-on. :laugh:

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frank miller's TKR totally revolutionized Batman the character. He had previously been a relatively goody two-shoesy superhero and Frank miller made him a grim avenger of the night.

This was before that sort of thing was a cliche and it was totlly groundbreaking at the time.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Graphic, I initially read your post as "Arthur Miller's TKR revolutionised Batman..." and got wayyyyyyyyyyy more excited than was reasonable given that I know he never did anything remotely like that.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frank miller's TKR totally revolutionized Batman the character. He had previously been a relatively goody two-shoesy superhero and Frank miller made him a grim avenger of the night.

This was before that sort of thing was a cliche and it was totlly groundbreaking at the time.

Eh, I mean yes and no. I dunno if you were even alive in the 80s, but the character was totally consistent with the zeitgeist of the time: 'dark' exploitation/revenge narratives that proliferated with the rise of home video, paired with a particular type of Cold War exhaustion where anything remotely nationalistic was a target for lampooning. True, Batman suffered from the comics code, the awful tv show, the blight of the sidekick, etc., but he went through a lot of stages, and Miller's was, in IMO, a return to his dark roots, not a total rehaul or anything.

I think you also have to figure in the hype machine of the time. The industry was looking for figures to lionize in a period where comics, due to the skyrocketing values of the early titles, were increasingly seen (wrongly) as an investment; and I remember this one as severely hyped and spun and sold as 'rare', even as more and more were being printed. A legend on delivery.

Not that it isn't good or anything; it's probably his best. I just think its 'groundbreaking ness' is a little overblown, a product of the generation who grew up on it more than anything.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads