• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading thread

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished Wind up Bird Chronicle - very formtative for Murakami (it seemed) and a bit less cohesive and cool.

Not disappointing, but not up to the standard of others, IMO.

Thoughts?

My Mum also asked me to read "A Visit from the Goon Squad" which was so overtly middle aged it was funny.

Next on the list: Gibsonx3.

dan138zig

Reaction score
stopped reading it halfway. wandered around too far to my liking.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished it, but think it is among his weakest work, but with some great parts. Wild sheep chase + dance dance dance should be everyone's introduction to Murakami.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dance, dance, dance is my second favourite.

South of the Border, West of the Sun is just toooooooooooooooo ******* good.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reading Le compte de Monte Cristo right now. At 10 pages/day it will take me roughly forever.

Nikos

Reaction score
I finished it, but think it is among his weakest work, but with some great parts. Wild sheep chase + dance dance dance should be everyone's introduction to Murakami.

Dance, dance, dance is my second favourite.

South of the Border, West of the Sun is just toooooooooooooooo ******* good.

So which one should I go for after the Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood gents? I liked the Chronicle more.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you liked Chronicle, then go for 19Q4 which is, all round, doing what WUBC was trying to do but a lot better. Or Kafka on the Shore, or Dance, Dance, Dance.

NW and SOTBWOTS are more romantic, than the others.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kafka on the shore is really good, and combines the "weird" side (i.e. magic realism) with a strong plot.

But as I mentioned, "wild sheep chase" + "dance dance dance", where the latter is a sequel to the former, are among his best work.

futuresailors

Reaction score
I remember reading that NW was his attempt at a normal romance, which would explain why it's a bit atypical.
If you liked the Windup Bird more, 1Q84, Kafka on the Shore, or Hardboiled Wonderland would be up your alley.
Or if you like short stories, The Elephant also Vanishes collection.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No thoughts on Michael Cunningham! I don't believe it....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just started this:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neuromancer: I read this first when I was about 19. I remember being confused a lot by it and didn't really understand what was going on.

This time around, though, it rocked. The story is convoluted and complex, but it essentially follows a hacker called Case who is slowly dying in Chiba - a district of Japan. He is given a second life as long as he commits to an unexplained mission presented by an weird guy called Armitage. Along the way, the plot thickens as Case learns his job is to hack through a powerful AI, and that his real employer is a part of that AI called Wintermute.

Visionary and amazing. Still incredibly powerful.

I want to add to this and say that Gibson's prose is incredibly light (it's not labourious, and convoluted sentences using words particular to this novel just roll off the page), but simultaenously powerful and paced so well, an example:

"Cold steel ice odor. Ice caresses his spine.
Lost, so small amid that dark, hands grown col, body image fading down corridors of television sky.
Voices.
Then black fire found the branching tributaries of the nerves, pain beyond anything to which the name of pain is given..."

"The landscape of the northern Sprawl woke confused memories of childhood for Case, dead grass tufting the cracks in a canted slab of freeway concrete.

The train began to decelerate ten kilometers from the airport. Case watched the sun rise on the landscape of childhood, on broken slag and the rusted shells of refineries."

eluther

Reaction score

If you liked Chronicle, then go for 19Q4 which is, all round, doing what WUBC was trying to do but a lot better. Or Kafka on the Shore, or Dance, Dance, Dance.

NW and SOTBWOTS are more romantic, than the others.

I absolutely love Murakami, but 1Q84 was one of the worst thing I've ever read – I returned it to the book store after 100 pages. It's actually the only book I've ever returned. Most of the problems could be chocked up to poor translation, but I don't see how it could do what WUBC does unless something shifts dramatically.

I think Kafka on the Shore's a great second Murakami novel. It complements WUBC in a lot of ways, kind of like a companion EP to a longer LP.

futuresailors

Reaction score
@eluther Did you not like it because it was bad or because it was overly "Murakami-y"? I wasn't blown away by it either, but that's because it felt like he was recycling tropes from his other stories.

@LonerMatt One of the Great works of the 20th century. It's too bad "sci-fi" is stigmatized as it is, Neuromancer probably the most insightful work regarding the development of modern culture around, right down to the formal elements of the prose; #twitter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads