Reading thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rjbman, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Portland Dry Goods

Portland Dry Goods Affiliate Vendor

237 Commercial Street, Portland, Me 04102

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Any Cormac fans? Here's something I wrote in the 50 book thread about All the Pretty Horses:

ATPH continues my love-confused relationship with Cormac McCartney. While the Road and No Country for Old Men were superb, I found this book hard going (unlike Blood Meridian, which I found impossible). At many points, the narrative seemed to stumble and fall flat, and the character development, while somewhat rich, was incredibly implicit. McCartney's prose is strikingly individual and defies convention, but significant amounts of dialogue were in Spanish, and simply were lost on me - many of the nuances of character's choices, reasons, context and information were completely lost due to this choice.

A drawn out ending, undeniably McCartney, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't find it as extravagantly amazing as most of the reviews I've read seem to. Perhaps there is just something I'm missing.

3. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

4. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

randomly enough had been thinking about picking up something by Munro recently. Any recommendations?

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I'm not super familiar with her work, which is kind of a shame because I love short story collections and she's widely acknowledged as the best short story writer living. But everyone I know who's read her loves everything she's done. It's not very helpful, but you could probably start just about anywhere.

There's also plenty of her work available online if you want to see what it's about before buying something. The New Yorker has a bunch, for instance. Some require a subscription, but there are a ton that don't: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/bios/alice_munro/search?contributorName=Alice+Munro

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

6. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

Ah yes I should've thought of the New Yorker. I generally skip their fiction (I have a hard enough time finishing the magazine as it is) but I should look at whether I can dig up some of her stuff on the ipad app. Didn't DFW also write for them?

Also I just finished The Art of Fielding, read it in a couple of days. Honestly the writing seemed on par with Grisham at times so it's weird to see how much praise it's received, but it's a very enjoyable read I'll admit.

7. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

i used to read so much as a kid. haven't really done any reading for enjoyment in the last 10 years, definitely miss it. im about midway through "prozac nation" right now. really enjoying it.

8. vegs

vegs Well-Known Member

I think it's really cool. He was really media shy, hardly did any interviews in all of his years as a writer, and then suddenly does an interview with Oprah. Also, I find it interesting what he says about the novel (The Road) just churning in the back of his mind and that he could just sit down and write it when he felt it was finished.

9. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

Runaway was pretty good.

10. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage and Lives of Girls and Women

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Finally available stateside this week. :inlove:

Been a fan since way back -- well, the '90's, anyway -- so glad to see him getting some recognition over here. The recent Booker nom might seem fairly arbitrary, given his plenitude of wonder, but I'm glad more of my fellow 'muhricans are finally taking note.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

12. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

^ I've read several articles from Self (back in the 90's, in London), even a couple of short stories I think, but never a novel somehow.

Norwegian Wood followed the Wind up Bird Chronicle, which I loved.
    The thing is the Chronicle is still too vivid for me, so it feels like I am reading a sequel. It does not help that the wells and the cicadas are apparently important to this one too.

I also bought this, which I've meant to read for a while:
    [​IMG]

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:fistbump:

Sweet! That's in my all-time top five, and a couple others here (including dwyhajlo, I think) frequently exclaim its virtues. I think you'll enjoy it. I've found, like a secular Bible, it's good for both long, ruminative stretches as well as short bursts on the daily. Just apply as needed.

Serpent's Tail Press has another edition featuring a different translation, as well as a re-organization of its short non-chapters, in case you're inclined to further nerdery.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

14. Nikos

Nikos Senior member

Thanks noob,
    In fact (being the nerd that I am) I bought the Serpent's Tail edition. I wasn't familiar with them so I hesitated a bit, but good to know it is a good one.

15. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Had never ever heard of Alice Munro but I had seen the movie 'Away from Her' which was adapted from one of her books and I didn't know it...

Anyway, went back and read the original, "The Bear Came Over the Mountain," fantastic read. Thanks for the recommendation!