1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Read this

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Giona Granata, Feb 3, 2005.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe Darren took the rap for Alexander McQueen scrawling obscenities inside Prince Charles' suits.

So what now? Do we turn grayson-like against Darren? We have apparently watched Tom win a Savile Row version of the ghetto pastime "the dozens"...

I'd like to say I like Darren's suits, but what do I know -- I only have two bespoke suits, and they're both from him. It seems that apart from this ugly mess, the suits most forum members have received from Darren have been good. Dare I say very, very good? Look, I'm not his PR -- weigh in if he's disappointed you.

Has anyone tried both Tom's and Darren's suits? Their character for truthfulness or gossip need not have much bearing on the quality of their product.

Without attacking Tom, I must say that while Darren has a niche at Scabal's premises for Savile Row consultations, Tom also appears to cohabit, as do most Savile Row tailors, with another or several firms. He also is "By Appointment Only", which does suggest that he too pops in rather than maintains a full shop. Feel free to correct me.

2. William Massena

William Massena Well-Known Member

This is getting borderline of ridiculous. What is next? Darren Beaman wears glasses hence he cannot be a good tailor? As for the last suit Darren posted (huntsman single button cut with DB vest), I saw the suit  worn by its owner, not a few minutes, a few hours, I saw the owner standing, seated, eating, laughing,  I saw the coat Darren made for the same customer. That suit blew me away.  I looked intensively at the detaiils, from head to toe, I looked like a pauper in my Borrelli MTM stuff. The coat he was wearing was amazingly made, the richness of details I have never seen before. Then again I have a very limited amount of Bespoke suit (6) but grew up in a home where my father went to see a few (now famous) Italian Artisans on a monthly basis to have his suits made.  I have seen great work before, and what I saw was great work. The fact that Darren was fired from A&S, was a cutter or an Alteration tailor has no basis for me. Actually, if such claims are true, more power to him. William Massena William@timezone.com

3. RJman

I hear Darren is developing weapons of mass destruction in his backyard. And at 12 Savile Row by appointment only.

4. RJman

those 18.5 minutes? Tricky Dick being measured for a "whistle and flute" of "unimpeachable" quality...

on the grassy knoll... a fellow who could not stand JFK's sack suit...

Darren Beaman? Lucky Lord Lucan? Ever seen in the same place? I rest my (S&A) case.

5. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

There's actually a picture on this site of someone who bought a sportcoat from Darren. It looked pretty good to my untrained eye.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have no experience with either tailors' suits, but I really do not think we need to take sides. Â From what I've gathered on the forums (my former involvement in the fashion industry did not include anything about bepoke tailors) both make superlative suits. Â So either one or both of the tailors are prima donna. Â So what? Â That's pretty typical of fashion types, and I'm not at all surprised that the same goes for the tailoring types. But I think that gentlemen would settle these types of disputes in private.

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I find this most telling...

A.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

The seductive power of the Internets can turn even the most established artisan into a blithering nimrod.

And lately I'm afraid Mr. Beaman hasn't been the only case

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Of whom else thou speak'st of?

Jon.

10. Alias

Alias Senior member

It's just a personal viewpoint of mine. I have a great idea for a thread in General Chat. Let's pretend to be bespoke artisans and make flaming, trolling, false accusations of each other. "imageWis you cant cut, you never worked at A&S how can you call yourself a cutter" ... That sort of thing. It will be like therapy for those of us disappointed by these recent events [​IMG]

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's true. The suit I got from Jon is the worst-looking potato sack I've ever seen.

12. tdial

tdial Senior member

Originally Posted by Alias,Feb. 03 2005,18:15
    "imageWis you cant cut, you never worked at A&S how can you call yourself a cutter"
    It's true. Â The suit I got from Jon is the worst-looking potato sack I've ever seen.
    I specifically asked for hacking pockets on my jacket, but Alias made it with straight zippered pockets and a velco ticket pocket.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alias is even worse. I went to him for a suit, and he botched it so badly that I asked him what the hell went wrong. Only then did he admit that he's a shirtmaker.

14. Alias

Alias Senior member

well thats because you don't know TRUE SAVILE ROW STYEL

Edit: Manton, it's on, it's on like Donkey Kong

15. AJL

AJL Senior member

I must add that Alias fares no better as a shoemaker: his lasts are ill-proportioned and ill-fitting, he uses inferior leathers and his finishes are splotchy. At $3,000. U.S., and a 12 month wait, I expected much, much more.

16. Alias

Alias Senior member

Well I can say for a certainty that AJL is no good at making trousers. When I asked for a pair of charcoal grey, slim-fitting trousers, he gave me dayglo-yellow clown pants. And he charged $1,500.

17. tdial

tdial Senior member

Well, I guess I'll come completely clean. I once commissioned Alias to make me a bespoke ski mask, much like the one he used to advertise on his avatar. After spending several hours going through his fabric books and three subsequent fittings, he presented me with an ill fitting mask with the eye and mouth openings on the back of the mask. Needless to say, I demanded back my $750 deposit.

18. Kai

Kai Senior member

You guys are cracking me up. [​IMG]

19. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. Damn you.

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by Alias,Feb. 03 2005,18:15
    "imageWis you cant cut, you never worked at A&S how can you call yourself a cutter"
    It's true. The suit I got from Jon is the worst-looking potato sack I've ever seen.
    Oh, man this is funny. HAHAHAHA As in regards to the suit, you sir asked for a Potato Sack suit, and I thus created: [​IMG] And you then have the nerve to question my stitching. I'll have you know I really did apprentice in Savile Row at A&S and created many a Potato Sack suit, perfecting my specialty: the brown Potato Sack suit, also known as the "Farmer", which incidentally is now all the rage in Paris. I say it is you sir that never worked on the Row. All I recall of you is some guy running up and down the street covered in chalk, with lose threads all over your clothes with a pair of scissors screaming: "I'm a cutter" at the top of your lungs. Jon.