• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Read this!

banksmiranda

Reaction score
A number of you have wanted to buy shirt fabric. Â Here's a source in Italy which weaves fabric in 60/2, 80/2 and 100/2 and has a minimum order of 2 meters with prices starting at 7 Euros per meter: http://www.paganini-fabrics.com Next, some of us wondered exactly what Gianni Campagna refers to as his "stay-flat lapel." Â I'm pretty sure I know exactly what it is now. Â I saw a St. Andrews suit today and noticed that under the lapel, on the chest portion of the suit, are two small darts. Â The bigger dart(~7.5 inches long) is placed just past and parallel to the last row of pad stitching. Â The second smaller dart(~1 inch long) is perpendicular to the large dart and placed approximately 2 inches below and parallel to the lapel buttonhole. Â These darts are there in addition to the standard visible darts on the front of the jacket. Today I visited Riddle-McIntyre, Chicago's only custom shirtmaker at this point. Â To clarify, the others simply take measures and farm the work out. Â Riddle-McIntyre actually does the work on site, or so I am told. Â Shortly after I walked in the proprietor, Frank Hee Kang, climbed up a ladder out of a small hole in the floor. Â Mr. Kang has owned Riddle-McIntyre for approximately 30 years. Â 90% of his fabrics are woven by the Swiss company Alumo. Â I think that, based on his fabric selection, the finished shirts on display, the fact that his own outfit was well-fitted and his prices(average = $185, 170s cotton = $255, 200s cotton = $325) are fairly reasonable, I would have to recommend Mr. Kang's Riddle-McIntyre. Syd Jerome has lots of stuff 50% off right now. Â This sale has been going on for a few weeks already and will go on for a couple more. Â I saw some Borrelli and Oxxford suits among the discounted items. Â One important reminder: it's "cash and carry." Â In other words, cash or check only, and no returns.

VWpete

Reaction score
Riddle is great. My great friend gets all his shirts done there. He's pushing two-dozen. Gorgeous. I need to try it when I get back to IL. Funny... I find a great custom shirt maker after I move to NYC.
Pete

banksmiranda

Reaction score
One more note: the darts I described above are not found on all St. Andrews suits.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Banks, was it a Stefano Ricci (the SA suit)?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
A Harris, the suit I'm referrring to was actually a suit with only St. Andrews' own label sewn inside, not a private-label job.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. You should see the suits that SA does for Ricci. They have lots of unique detailing, including what you describe.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Can Ricci suits be found anywhere besides the company's boutiques in Beverly Hills or New York?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I visited Ricci's Beverly Hills boutique in March 2003 but didn't pay particularly close attention to the suits. At a quick glance they did seem like well-made garments, though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can Ricci suits be found anywhere besides the company's boutiques in Beverly Hills or New York?

I don't think so, but I'm not certain.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Are all of Ricci's suits done by St. Andrews, or does D'Avenza do some as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads