• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Re: Christmas came early at casa holymadness -- UPDATED with photos

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Noice!

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is the most baller picture ive ever seen on sf.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iberico or Iberico Bellata?

Does the flavor gets muddied with thicker cuts?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a gift so I'm not sure, but I very much doubt it's bellota. A ham this size would be frightfully expensive if so. Probably recebo or cebo.

And we're planning to cut it in thin slices. The soporte comes with a special kind of long, thin, flexible knife (cuchillo jamonero) that resembles a fishmonger's knife for doing just that. It'd probably be too tough to chew in thick slices.

Either way, it's bocadillos every day until March.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
It was a gift so I'm not sure, but I very much doubt it's bellota. A ham this size would be frightfully expensive if so. Probably recebo or cebo. And we're planning to cut it in thin slices. The soporte comes with a special kind of long, thin, flexible knife (cuchillo jamonero) that resembles a fishmonger's knife for doing just that. It'd probably be too tough to chew in thick slices. Either way, it's bocadillos every day until March.
Awesome. Be sure to use any trimmings to cook vegetables. Fuck, I'd like to get something like that. How long is it ok just sitting out at room temp? Forever?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Awesome. Be sure to use any trimmings to cook vegetables.
Good idea. Interestingly, I've seen jamon back fat for sale in San Francisco, but not the meat itself. Is it illegal to import to the USA? My father-in-law and I have pipe dreams of starting a jamon exporting business.

Fuck, I'd like to get something like that. How long is it ok just sitting out at room temp? Forever?
As it is it can sit like that around forever. Once I start cutting into it, I'll have to cover it with a cloth after each session to prevent the exposed flesh from drying out, but it shouldn't go bad.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a gift so I'm not sure, but I very much doubt it's bellota. A ham this size would be frightfully expensive if so. Probably recebo or cebo.

And we're planning to cut it in thin slices. The soporte comes with a special kind of long, thin, flexible knife (cuchillo jamonero) that resembles a fishmonger's knife for doing just that. It'd probably be too tough to chew in thick slices.

Either way, it's bocadillos every day until March.

i am... so jealous.

Yes a Bellota of that size would cost something unthinkable. It would expensive in Spain, let alone here.

Beautiful piece you have there... enjoy it and don't waste even a scrap of it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
When you are finished, please send me the bone. I will gnaw on that thing for weeks, like a fucking dog.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's a sixteen-pounder.

Someone likes you a LOT.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
You have happy little flower tiles in your kitchen.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
that's the least appetizing turkey i've ever seen
I laughed hard.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
When you are finished, please send me the bone. I will gnaw on that thing for weeks, like a fucking dog.
You're welcome to have some if ever you're in town. I'm already fantasizing about the soups I'll make with it.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.