• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Razor

megabiscoito

Reaction score
What non much too expensive razor do u advice? Do u know or recommend Philips One Blade?

megabiscoito

Reaction score
What non much too expensive razor do u advice? Do u know or recommend Philips One Blade?
This
IMG_20190203_200228138.jpeg

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend the OneBlade, especially if you have sensitive skin. It doesn't get 100% down to the skin, but it gives a fairly close shave. Plus, it's a great stubble trimmer.

If you need a close shave on a budget, I'd invest in a quality DE Razor/Safety Razor. I chose the Edwin Jagger DE89 and have nothing but praise for the razor. It ran about $30 initially, but you can get 100 DE razor blades for $10 on Amazon. This should last you quite a long time.

megabiscoito

Reaction score
So the One Blade is a much better option than a normal Gilette like Mach 3 and similar?

Reaction score
So the One Blade is a much better option than a normal Gilette like Mach 3 and similar?
Check out this Youtube video on the Oneblade. It will give a pretty close shave, just not 100% like a Mach 3 or DE Razor. I'd go for the Oneblade if you've got sensitive skin, or a profession where its not necessary to have a 100% close shave.

Reaction score
But between Gilette and DE Razor which is better for you? And why?
DE Razor.
-The cost is substantially better for DE blades vs. Gillette.
-In order to mitigate irritation, it's best to go over a spot as few times as possible. I feel as though a single blade DE razor provides less irritation than a four bladed Gillette.
-Refinement: Something about shaving with a DE razor just feels more refined than shaving with a Gillette. I know this is purely emotional and difficult to put into words, but shaving like they did pre-cartridge razor simply feels better...like driving an old, heavy, shiny muscle car vs. a reliable, new Toyota Camry.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schick Hydro changed my disposable razor life. It's surprisingly comfortable and provides a smooth shave. I use a DE blade 90% of the time with Feather blades and it provides a nice shave. But it can be time-consuming. If I wake up late and need to get to work, the Schick Hydro makes quick work of short 2-3 day stubble.

I'm using the same cartridge the razor came with, and even with 30-35+ shaves, it works great with a shave gel.

DE is always cheaper in the long run.

I tried the OneBlade. I don't recommend it. Have fun replacing the blade once the old one breaks. The plastic is really weak and will break with the slightest drop or accident.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have CRAZY sensitive skin. Mach 3 will cut me often all over, and I end up with ingrown hair that turn into bumps and white puss-filled nastiness. I don't get these much at all with the OneBlade hybrid.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The internet loves DE razors but basic logic will easily refute the hackneyed arguments that get trotted out in favour of them every time this topic comes up.

Get the Philips OneBlade or a Braun electric if you have sensitive skin or the Gilette Mach3/Fusion/Skinguard if you want a close wet-shave. If budget is a concern then consider one of the older Gilette carts like the Sensor or Atra.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Have been shaving with a double edge razor since 2005. It can be a very cheap, yet great and enjoyable way to shave. I personally use a Feather all stainless steel razor along, feather platinum razor blades, Palmolive shaving cream and a Simpson best badger shaving brush. A carton of 200 Feather razor blades costs me about 50 euro and I toss each balde after 3 shaves. Many other brands are cheaper than Feather, but I appreciate their high quality items and their blades are among the sharpest money can buy. The Badger and Balde forum is a great place to browse if you are looking for great information on anything that has to do with shaving.

For cheaper DE razors the brand Merkur has some decent offerings.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Bolzano blades. Found that it gives me the best shave with the least irritation. I have incredibly sensitive skin and coarse, wavy hair. I don't love Feather, and Astra is fine. It comes down to finding the best match for you. There is a fair amount of trial and error.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had an ingrown hair since I started using double edge blades, but I sure as hell have nicked myself in the beginning. The latter issue was solved by slowing down while shaving and making sure the area I was using the razor on was always lubricated with shaving cream.

I decided Feather blades were the best after getting a sample pack of ten different brands - the closeness of the shave is like none other. I don't have a heavy beard so I end up extending the time between shaves by two days with double edge blades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics