• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Razor burn

Clemsonfan4

Reaction score
I've been shaving shaving the same way for as long as I can remember, but recently, say...the past 2 weeks, I've been getting really bad razor burn. My jaw and neck burn and itch after every shave, no matter how long I soak them with warm water and how well I lather. I shave once with the "grain," then go back over the heavier areas against the grain. Maybe I have become allergic to the razon/shaving cream...Any ideas on some new approaches that may help?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
What kind of razor and cream are you using? If you check the archives, we had a thread like this a while back. I don't know about the other guys' experiences on the Forum, but going back and forth over the grain might be too much. I personally use, and highly recommend, Art of Shaving products. www.artofshaving.com. The pre-shave oil in particular might help alleviate your problem.

vantheman

Reaction score
Did you change anything else you put on your face, like any cleansers? Sometimes people make some other change that takes away natural oils or dries out the skin more, which results in not being able to stand up to razors the same way.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
With the weather changing, your skin my either be dry or getting sweat pimples. If this is the case, shaving irritates the condition and does not allow proper healing time. If this persists, I recommend taking a day or two off of shaving (if you work, the weekend is obviously the better time), and let your skin heal. Just a thought.

Clemsonfan4

Reaction score
Thanks for the help fellas. I had been using Nivea's shave cream and Neutrogena's after shave lotion. I switched to Nivea's sensative skin shave cream and the irritation has gone down some. It seems quite odd for this to start all of the sudden.

Fernando

Reaction score
Hey,

Why don´t you buy a shaving machine. Personally, I use one of this devices. My kind of beard however is very scarce so I don´t irritate my skin very much. I only apply alcohol after shaving and don´t use aftershave creams.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy