• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray Custom Shirtmaker in Philly? Any experience?

JohnD356

Reaction score
I found some passing stuff about Ray Custom Shirtmaker (site) in a forum search, but nothing really specific. Has anyone used him and how does his work compare to the NYC makers? Thanks for any help Philly guys.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I don't have a basis for comparison to NY shirtmakers, as I've never used them. For that matter, Ray is thus far the first and only shirtmaker I've used. His shirts fit better than RTW, and that should be a given. However, I find them a little blousier than I'd like. He says this is to allow for shrinkage. And he wants you to be comfortable. Price is not bad: $150 to $165 range for most stuff. He's open to suggestion - he copied a collar style I liked, even though this was not part of his repertoire. He'll do pattern matching if you ask. Default buttons are plastic, but he'll do MOP upon request. Fabric selection is just OK. I don't know if he allows customers to bring own fabrics. All in all, he's convenient if you're in the Philadelphia area, and overall I like his shirts. At the same time, I can't say that I haven't thought about using someone else, so I guess there's either a hint of dissatisfaction or I'd like to see what else is out there.

JohnD356

Reaction score
^ Thanks for the review. The prices are good but, given the minimum order, it's a fairly costly experiment to figure out how the shirts turn out. Based on your thoughts, I'm tempted to look elsewhere. Hopefully some others can comment. Thanks again for the reply.

rajesh06

Reaction score
My guess is that (outside the HK makers) you'll be hard pressed to get custom shirts in the $150 - $165 range net of all costs. Remember no tax in PA.

The trial shirt is an experiment - the others aren't much of a risk in that sense.

I use Barton and Donaldson and they are in the $225 to $275 range.

JohnD356

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
My guess is that (outside the HK makers) you'll be hard pressed to get custom shirts in the $150 - $165 range net of all costs. Remember no tax in PA.

The trial shirt is an experiment - the others aren't much of a risk in that sense.

I use Barton and Donaldson and they are in the $225 to $275 range.

Agreed, the price is great. I've heard good things about Barton and Donaldson, but never seen their work. Could you give me your impressions? Thanks.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know Ray very well. as well as His father who is a shirtmaker in Jenkentown.

He makes an excellent shirt, and he and his wife will do a good job for you.

Carl

JohnD356

Reaction score
^ Thank you Carl. I'm always impressed by how gracious you are towards your peers.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ray and his wife Roxanne are truely very nice people. no reason not to help them.
I have seen the shirt. the work is clean. I can not comment on fit.
their shop is 5 minutes from where I grew up.
Carl

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnD356
Agreed, the price is great. I've heard good things about Barton and Donaldson, but never seen their work. Could you give me your impressions? Thanks.

I really like the fit.
The fabrics range from nice to excellent - selection is huge.
The construction is excellent.

The store smells musty.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Ray and his wife Roxanne are truely very nice people. no reason not to help them.
I have seen the shirt. the work is clean. I can not comment on fit.
their shop is 5 minutes from where I grew up.
Carl

Ray and Roxanne are incredibly nice folks.

I have some shirts from Carl (Shirtmaven) and some shirts from Ray. I recommend both. Ray is very open to suggestions and feedback about fit. He makes a first shirt, then tweaks the fit--and tweaks it again after the second round if needed. If the first shirt just doesn't work, he remakes it from scratch. You will not end up with a shirt you can't wear.

I don't think that Ray does CMT, but he has a good selection of fabrics on hand and can order all sorts of things.

I have no experience with Barton & Donaldson.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads