• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray-Ban Wayfarer Black or White

Bellison

Reaction score
It really depends on your complexion and your features when determining the color. Go ask someone in the store. Or you could post a picture of your face.

Originally Posted by georgdings
Hey there

i am thinking about buying these wayfarers --> http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2140/1028
and currently i am not shure whether i should get them in black or in white.

i like the white ones cause they are so eye-catching but the black ones are classics

any ideas or tips??

thanks for replies

Bellison

Reaction score
Or if you were a big timer, you could get the Louis Vuitton Evidence glasses that Kanye West wears, haha.

Hey there

i am thinking about buying these wayfarers --> http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/products/rb2140/1028
and currently i am not shure whether i should get them in black or in white.

i like the white ones cause they are so eye-catching but the black ones are classics

any ideas or tips??

thanks for replies

georgdings

Reaction score
first of thanks for the feedback
wink.gif

i think i'll go with the black ones (thanks to you)

I know a guy who is currently desperately trying to sell his pair of Wayfarers in brown. He might have posted here already.
and i come from austria so i don't think anyone can sell me wayfarers cause shipping would be too expensive

Or if you were a big timer, you could get the Louis Vuitton Evidence glasses that Kanye West wears, haha.
also, no i'm not... i just want cool sunglasses for the summer and i really liked the rare prints edition with the subway map.

so thanks...and i guess i'll order them the day after tomorrow

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first of thanks for the feedback
wink.gif

i think i'll go with the black ones (thanks to you)

Good choice.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009...ban-wayfarers/
+1. Just what I was thinking:
White people love these Ray-Bans because they were very popular in the 1960s and the 1980s. This gives them a historical precedent and allows white people to classify them as “timeless.” That way when they purchase these sunglasses they can talk about how they were inspired by the fashion and music of these bygone eras. When a white person says this, you should just nod and mention how they look like young Johnny Cash, a dead Beach Boy, Audrey Hepburn or an extra from a John Hughes movie. This will make them happy and likely to give you their old, expensive sunglasses that you can sell for a significant profit.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
Sorry ... Louis Vuitton is for Pretend Timers and Don't-Know-Better Timers.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I like tortoise shell and black, but opted for black because they had green lenses rather then brown.
The lense w/ green tint is high on my priority list.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why? whats so special about green lenses?
It's actually a green-gray ... and it's the classic lense color in my opinion. Every -- and I mean every -- pair of sunglasses that appeal to me have some verson of this color lense ... and this is true be the frames black, tortoise shell, gold rim, etc. It may or may not work in frames of a stronger color (red, blue, etc.) ... but in the frames that appeal to me (those in classic styles and colors) ... it's what works as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying this will work for you ... but why not take a good look around when you are next outside on a sunny day. When you see a good-looking pair of sunglasses ... notice the color of the lenses. When I've done this ... it's the green-gray lenses every single time. The brown lenses never work for me .. there being something about them that is very off.

If I have to put it into words ... the green-gray lenses have a coolness (temperature, color tone) to them ... while the brown is too warm. Also ... I like the way I perceive my view via the green-gray as opposed to the brown.

EDIT: I had one pair with the brownish lenses ... and everytime I put them on I felt as if real life had departed and was seeing a caricature of myself. In all sincerity ... when I looked in the mirror ... I felt as if Albain (in la Cage aux Folles) in St. Tropez was looking back at me. That's not a good thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads