• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ray-Ban: Trite or Classic?

Sam H

Reaction score
I don't think people are being too fair about quality. I used to buy only dollar stone sunglasses because I saw them as disposable. I saw them as disposable because they always broke. If I branched out into "luxury" mall brand territory, they would also just break but I was out $80 instead of $5. I'm talking lifespans of one month. I don't treat my stuff like crap. I really try and take care of my things. But whether I was buying overpriced Armani Exchange (yeah, I know... I go there for basics because I like their t-shirt fit) or picking them up at some street vendor from whatever no-name asian company that supplies those people, sunglasses would just wear out from normal use.

I finally decided to dive in and get real grownup sunglasses. I researched it a bit but went with Rayban because the styles I always wore were Aviator and Wayfarer knockoffs, and I figured I might as well just go to the source and buy the originals. I purchased both in the span of maybe 6 months back in 2014. They are both still going strong. I baby them less than I ever did my cheap sunglasses. They show no real signs of wear or damage barring the need to get them straightened sometimes and also the lens of the aviator occasionally needing to be popped back in. They are both made in Italy and brand new as of 2014. They are the styles I like and they are the classic proprietors of those styles. The quality as far as I am concerned is excellent, coming from the world of crappy (yet not necessarily cheap) sunglasses. Would I maybe branch out a bit more when shopping for eyeglasses if I didn't wear contacts? Yeah, perhaps. But when it comes to sunglasses, I have exactly what I want with my Aviators and Wayfarers and I finally understand why they are $150 a piece even though when I was younger I used to scoff at prices like that for eyewear. I could have just bought them originally and probably saved a ton of money over the years that went into crappy disposable knockoffs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads