Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ray-Ban: Trite or Classic?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JJGooden, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

All metal frames are a bit "off." Also, all metal frame sunglasses will eventually be sat upon, just like all sunglasses with plastic lenses will get scratched.

This doesn't matter of course since all sunglasses are made by Luxottica. They all come from the same place.

And even Randolph now brands their sunglasses, though you can scrape it off with an exacto. Of course you will end up sitting on them shortly after you realize this.

Giving up on sunglasses prompted me to give up on contacts. Prescription glasses with quality frames (prodesign, japanese brands, Persol, etc) and transitions lenses are essentially loss-proof sunglasses.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Distinguished Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

I think they may be a little big for your face, Dig. Also, in my opinion, the gold-tone frames aren't as good a color choice for you as would be black plastic or silver metal.

3. apz06

apz06 Well-Known Member

I wear wayfarers every day IMO they never go in or out & are a stand by. .I also dig oliver peoples

4. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

And Barton Perreira?

My main issue with Ray-Bans is the logo on the lens

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Distinguished Member

For those who like Ray Bans but don't like the lens logo, there was a long thread posted on here some time ago where several people had had success in removing the logo with a copper penny without damaging the glass lens. it won't help with the plastic tag on the hinge of Wayfarers but will work on aviators, clubmasters, etc.

6. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Yeah I saw those threads, I already have two pairs of Barton Perreiras though and there isn't really any comparison when you hold them next to Ray-Bans.

7. gegarrenton

gegarrenton Senior Member

Yep.

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I have a pair of Ray Ban wayfarers that I've been wearing almost daily for about 5 years and have no complaints. I also have a pair of clubmasters that I wear once in a while. IMO, they are both classics (along with the aviators but I just never really cared for them). If the design has stuck around for as long as it has with so few changes, they must have done something right.

9. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Persol 649's and 714's are as classic as the Wayfarers, Aviators, and Clubmasters in my book.

10. I am DIL

I am DIL Distinguished Member

Wayfarers are too ubiquitous for my taste.

11. KObalto

KObalto Distinguished Member

They are classic (depending on the style). Do you like them? Then buy them. I used to wear Ray-ban, now I wear Persol. It's all personal taste. There is no "SF approved" style despite the crap you will read here. We are all on our own individual sartorial journeys. Granted, it will take some of us (perhaps me included) far more than 10 years to get to Ithaca.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

12. Grayland

Grayland Distinguished Member

Outside of Steve McQueen, I have never seen anyone look good in a pair of Persol 649's or 714's. I'm certain they are a quality product, but they don't seem to fit many people's faces well.

13. I am DIL

I am DIL Distinguished Member

Agreed. I love them, but they don't fit my face at all, and IRL, I've never seen them fit anyone else's either.

14. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

I gave a pair of 649s to my GF and they suit her fine but she does have a broad face.

Before gifting them I tried them on and compared them to my Wayfarers. If anyone is arsed they can do a search for 'Great Shade Debate' for pics. (sorry don't know how to do links!) The feedback for me was unanimous in favour of the RayBans but I have a narrow face.

I did get a pair of Hardings by Garret Leight from the Mortar SF affiliate which are close to 649s in shape but IMO look a lot better (slightly smaller frames). They are available in black, dark TS and honey blonde TS. They don't have the extra hinge thingy that Persols do, but are great quality. One of these days I'll get round to doing pics in case anyone is interested.

I also have several aviators, I like my RayBans but reach for my recently acquired Randolph's Concorde more often these days. I got the small 52mm frames and love them.

15. Heirandloom

Heirandloom New Member

As long as you make them your own, no problem wearing one of the most ubiquitous brands out there.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012