• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) vs. $10 street vendors/Exxon sunglasses

viator

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place to buy/browse sunglasses in midtown Manhattan?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Salts and I don't care what anybody says, the optics on these are AMAZING. They are drastically different from other sunglasses I've had such as Ray Ban and others under the Luxottica name.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
I bought a pair of Salts and I don't care what anybody says, the optics on these are AMAZING. They are drastically different from other sunglasses I've had such as Ray Ban and others under the Luxottica name.

Salt is straight up BA. They have some of the nicest frames I have ever seen.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perdogg
http://www.simplyeyeglasses.com/help/frame_size.php
Thanks, I've read these guidelines before, but they're too vague (and loaded with mis-measuring potential). eg: I have no idea how far past my face the glasses should go, etc. Most glasses don't end exactly at your temple. Nothing I hate more than sunglasses that are too big for your head. (Like the knock-offs I got)

alaaro

Reaction score
Ive had a few pairs of Maui Jims, and they are amazing. I'll never wear anything else. Plus they have such a huge range of styles from sporty to sophisticated.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned several pair of Maui Jims and Ray Bans, all of which I've misplaced. I now own Persols, which are great and provide solid UV protection versus the cheap-o Walgreen's shades that my wife wears. If you wear sunglasses while driving or skiing, you'll want a quality pair.

Big T

Reaction score
I would suggest taking a look at the aviator sunglasses sold on the "J Peterman" website. Supposedly the glasses are the same as used by the USAF. I've had a pair for 2 to 3 years, they're rock solid and are great in the sun. Cost is around $69.00 and I'll probably buy a back-up pair in preparation for the day I lose these (note I didn't say break, because these are solid!).

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Salt is straight up BA. They have some of the nicest frames I have ever seen.

+1. I have both plastic and metal frames from Salt, and they are fantastic quality. Have some Ray Ban Ultra gold plated titanium frames with ultra lenses that are good, too.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I've owned several pair of Maui Jims and Ray Bans, all of which I've misplaced. I now own Persols, which are great and provide solid UV protection versus the cheap-o Walgreen's shades that my wife wears. If you wear sunglasses while driving or skiing, you'll want a quality pair.
Your wife's cheap-o Walgreens shades have nearly identical UV protection as Persols.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
This is what I wear. I've had a few pair (well one was the nearly identical Randolph Engineering branded model) and they've been great. I'm thinking of picking up another off ebay in a slightly smaller size.

Are American Optical and Randolph Engineering the same company?

najpie

Reaction score
I like Raybans and buy them on Amazon. Many different styles, sizes (!) and colors available, and I usually pay around $70. Pretty good deal IMO.

They're more durable too. It's the difference between dropping the frames and having a lens pop out (cheap) vs dropping the frames and nothing happening.

Also, I seem to be more inclined to take care of frames that cost a bit of money vs. el cheapo frames, but in general I take care of my stuff.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the story with these? Fake, I assume? http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Ray-Ban-...ht_4642wt_1379
NNbxs222.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads