1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ray Ban logo on lens - how to remove it?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nurktwin, Nov 4, 2010.

1. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Is there a way to safely remove the applied (i.e. not engraved) Ray-Ban logo on a sunglass lens without damaging the lens coating? It looks like it's just some sort of white applied material on the left upper lens. I'm just not a fan of the loud Ray-Ban branding on a sun glass lens. (I'm ok with engraving as that is more subtle). I assume Ray Ban does this to differentiate against forgeries, but the loud overbranding really sullies the cool factor of their classic Aviator and Wayfarer designs. [​IMG]

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

Penny edge.

Cool. So this won't scratch the lens?

4. s0rce

s0rce Well-Known Member

If the lenses are glass (check by tapping something on them) then the penny will be fine. If they are plastic lenses then try to get it off with your finger nail and some soap + hot water to avoid scratching the lens.

If your fingernails are short try something else plastic.

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Search topic. There was a discussion on this. FWIW wearing raybans is like wearing nothing at all.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Search topic. There was a discussion on this. FWIW wearing raybans is like wearing nothing at all.

I'll say the same thing I did on the other thread about this. "Just get the lenses replaced you cheap bastards."

7. js4design

js4design Senior member

why would you pay to get them replaced when you can remove the logo for one cent, and keep the penny? That isn't cheap, just smart.

8. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

I'll say the same thing I did on the other thread about this. "Just get the lenses replaced you cheap bastards."
    I just tried the penny edge recommendation and it works like a charm. Took only a few seconds to remove the stupid Ray-Ban logo and didn't scratch the lens at all. No need to waste time and money putting in lenses. Use the penny!

9. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

I just tried the penny edge recommendation and it works like a charm. Took only a few seconds to remove the stupid Ray-Ban logo and didn't scratch the lens at all. No need to waste time and money putting in lenses. Use the penny!

you are now aware that there is an RB logo engraved on the other lens

10. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

you are now aware that there is an RB logo engraved on the other lens
    Engraving doesn't bother me as such a watermark in unobtrusive. It's the white applied logo in the upper left corner that sucks and which I have removed.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

An issue addressed by The Trad just a few weeks ago right here.

12. westinghouse

A better question perhaps: "Ray Ban - how to remove from styleforum?"

13. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

What do you mean?

14. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Grouchy much?

EZ

15. nurktwin

nurktwin Senior member

16. westinghouse

^^^^^Search much?^^^^^

17. bgd222

bgd222 New Member

Upon purchasing my Wayfarers from Sunglass Hut about ten years ago, I easily removed the "Ray Ban" lens logo with a Q-tip and nail polish remover (acetone) with no damage whatsoever. However, are the lenses still made of the same material? That I don't know.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  18. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

Not sure why this was bumped after 3 years, but yeah the lenses should be the same. I'd use rubbing alcohol or some scotch tape even.

19. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Senior member

Just over three years ago I bought some Caravans (which were later stolen by the police), from which I removed the logo by scratching it off with the edge of a coin, and it worked perfectly. More recently, I bought myself a pair of tortoise shell New Wayfarers, and did the same coin trick with them, which once again worked perfectly. Both have glass lenses, and neither suffered any damage whatsoever.

20. sswheels

sswheels New Member

glass polish and a polishing cloth.