• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw/Selvedge Denim Rotation

JRyder

Reaction score
Well spoken sir. What you've said about denim is accurate and telling of your knowledge. You are obviously a connoisseur of the dyed thread of the highest class.

However, I would like to point out that Musashi never actually used two wooden swords in battle, only one in fact. His two sword technique, widely understood to occur in a flash of insight at the Ichijoji Temple battle between himself and the remanents of the Yoshioka School involved the use of a katana and a companion wakizashi. His early duels involved the use of a wooden sword and his final battle with Sasaki Kojirō, the single self carved boat oar in the fashion of a suburito, but then again Musashi was not technically a Samurai, but instead a Ronin as he never actually had a retainer; but then I digress.

All of the above stated denim in your intended rotation are impressive and truly of the exclusive and limited kind and would represent impeccable choices for our young padawan if he has not already fled to horror.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRyder
Well spoken sir. Most of what you've said about denim is accurate and telling of your knowledge. You are obviously a connoisseur of the dyed thread.

However, I would like to point out that Musashi never actually used two wooden swords in battle, only one in fact. His two sword technique widely understood to occur in a flash of insight at the Ichijoji Temple battle between himself and the remanents of the Yoshioka School involved the use of a katana and a companion wakizashi. His early duels involved the use of a wooden sword and his final battle with Sasaki Kojirō, the single self carved boat oar in the fashion of a suburito, but then again Musashi was not technically a Samurai, but instead a Ronin as he never actually had a retainer; but then I digress.

All of the above stated denim in your intended rotation are impressive and truly of the exclusive and limited kind and would represent impeccable choices for our young padawan if he has not already fled.

Wow - thanks for knowledge! I learn something new everyday... must re-read my Book of Five Rings now
worship.gif

Bingham

Reaction score
i have many pairs in various states of fading. bit off more than i can currently chew, so i'm trying to pair it back to a few. here are my current day-to-days:

Left Field Tweed One-wash
Imogene + Willie
Spurr Pipe Leg- Raw Black
RRL Slim Bootcut Raw

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
samurai black knights (710 cut)
samurai 710s (yes, the indigo ones)
pure blue japan 007s

thinking about getting a pair of the samurai 5000gx-m (i love water) before big runs out...thats it for a year or three

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Ande Whall is a one-man denim workshop in New Zealand. He currently uses 3 different types of denim from 13.5-15.5oz. Each pair is made to order, although based on a stock pattern. The quality of workmanship is impeccable, and the cuts are very slim, especially in the thigh. All of his measurements are listed, I'd reccomend sizing up one from your normal size as he fits about .5" small around the waist (I usually wear 27 in Dior or Nudie and 29 in Ande Whall, I sent back my 28's because they were too uncomfortable) but his jeans are awesome.
http://www.andewhall.com

I'm loving these. I like how detailed he is with the sizing. The only thing that bothers me is what you say about his thigh sizing. I have large thighs..for a 33 waist. This is my problem with most slim fitting premium denim.

Originally Posted by mlyngard

Thank you! Heed this man's wisdom, as well as all the other good advice here.

Also recommending the Sugar Cane 2009 model 1947 II slim. 12oz goodness for spring/summer wear, and Momotaro 0701 (size UP! on those) for this coming fall/winter. Would also give Samurai S0500xx a serious consideration.

But overall, I'd say the WH 660 is still my go-to.

I looked the Sugar Cane's up. They don't seem very slim with an 8.5 inch hem. I normally don't venture past 8 inches.

From what I'm I understand about Warehouse denim...it is in excess of $300. I probably should have put a precursor on this thread saying I'm looking for something <300. I'm sure they are excellent denim though.

Originally Posted by mikecch
On topic though~

Starting October, my new rotation will be:
SDA Clipper
Pherrow's 421
Roy Denim standard
Oni 1001-HM

And hopefully a pair of Ande Whall's black jeans if his workshop is intact after the Christchurch earthquake yesterday.

I've heard of Roys from several people. Any other opinions?

Originally Posted by JRyder
Well spoken sir. What you've said about denim is accurate and telling of your knowledge. You are obviously a connoisseur of the dyed thread of the highest class.

However, I would like to point out that Musashi never actually used two wooden swords in battle, only one in fact. His two sword technique, widely understood to occur in a flash of insight at the Ichijoji Temple battle between himself and the remanents of the Yoshioka School involved the use of a katana and a companion wakizashi. His early duels involved the use of a wooden sword and his final battle with Sasaki Kojirō, the single self carved boat oar in the fashion of a suburito, but then again Musashi was not technically a Samurai, but instead a Ronin as he never actually had a retainer; but then I digress.

All of the above stated denim in your intended rotation are impressive and truly of the exclusive and limited kind and would represent impeccable choices for our young padawan if he has not already fled to horror.

I'm not sure what wooden swords have to do with your denim rotation but please put them away lest you confuse us more.

I'm sure all of this denim is superior but I'd prefer to leave the art up to the artists and just enjoy the lesser superior "Porshe"

My current "collection" is a pair of J.Crew Selvedge raws. Say what you will but I picked them up for $20 bucks at the clearance store and have been wearing them for almost a year (one hot soak) but no serious fades. They seem to be around 14oz denim. The J. Crew website claims the denim comes from Japan. They fit nice and I've been happy with them and they will still be part of my collection but I want to upgrade as well.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ save your money or buy one pair instead of two.

they has been some great denim/cuts already mentioned, and given your comments, it seems as if had your mind made up already...

buy a pair of samurai's, warehouse, pbj or onis. depending on your block size, you will have various options with the above with a hem at 8&quot; or less. e.g., samurai 710 or 500 cut, the warehouse 660 or 800 cut, any pbj cut and the oni blue cut will all work and last five years and if you wear that long, will look like paris hilton sucking your ball sack.

one other brand i thought of is somet. they have a couple of different cuts to choose from.

buy something and stop thinking about it. good luck.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
it seems as if had your mind made up already...

last five years and if you wear that long, will look like paris hilton sucking your ball sack.

one other brand i thought of is somet. they have a couple of different cuts to choose from.

buy something and stop thinking about it. good luck.

laugh.gif
I fail to understand how the length of me wearing a pair of denim is germane to Paris Hilton performing oral sex on my genitalia.

I actually haven't made up my mind already. Thats why I'm asking questions. I just said less than $300. Which several denims that have been listed are in that range. I just don't stop thinking and buy something. I'm fairly certain that is how many people arrive at the conclusion that 7FAM and TR are the world's best denim.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
oh...just cause paris likes to blow guys with well-faded denim. she tea bags!

JRyder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
do i want to know how the logo came about? no.

no you're right, a simple list of denim names ad nauseum without any other description, images or discussion is a much more interesting thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads