• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw (+/- Selvedge) Denim for My Girl

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope you can help a bit on this subject.

I figured that this subject has been talked about many times before, and I did search, but really didn't find what I was looking for - recent, first-hand opinions. I also considered throwing this question in the pinned threads at the top, but I'm looking for more than just one or two opinions (hopefully).

The history of the topic is this:

My girlfriend has always appreciated unique, well-fitting, "high-end" denim. She has worn many of the hip chick brands that we all seem to hate around here (on guys) since the day I met her. She is very petite and recently has toned up even more to the point that her 7FAM, R&R, etc. are fitting pretty sloppily. She has seen me drop about $1000 on jeans with brand-names that nobody up here in Canada knows over the last few months, and thankfully she is finally coming around to understanding the appeal of wearing inconspicuous, raw, (and maybe even selvedge denim).

She wears a 26 or 27 in most mall brand stuff, despite it always being very long on her. (Read: There is potential for some nice stacking here.) She is approximately 5'2" and weighs likely about 105 lbs. Thankfully, she understands the "stretch to fit" and the "never wash" philosophies, so basically I just have to find something and scoop it up for her. I think something tightly tapered (or maybe straight) works best for her body, so I'd probably start there in terms of dimensions.

I'm looking to spend about $250 at the most as this is her first pair. Also, if I could support the sponsors that'd be even better.

It seems that the Nudie Slim Kim or some expensive Sling & Stones are my only options at Self Edge and DB. (I must say, none of these look very good in the photos in my opinion.)

Suggestions?

savage

Reaction score
Good Society's are a good fit on most girls. What about Skull Jeans (the Linda's) ? or APC's? Some Strongholds look cute on Girls too.

You need to remember that raw denim isn't going to be the perfect ass shaping jean that most girls want.. ie 7's citizens, etc...

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
+1 on Denimbar. They seem to be the most active, accomodating and involved in the forum. I have had really bad luck with Tobi. I won't publicly post a specific grievance about them here (or anywhere) but I will never do business with them again.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea I'd refrain from ordering online unless your chick has tried them on or you might end up in an endless return/exchange cycle. Chicks seem to be way more picky about the fit

Mine wears Nudies and Glory and she's still looking for the "perfect fit" since she likes guy jeans better than chick jeans. If she could find a raw selvedge version of 1950s side zip jeans she'd be a happy camper.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheap monday will be form fitting..
also april77 might be what shes looking for too...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
She wears a 26 or 27 in most mall brand stuff, despite it always being very long on her. (Read: There is potential for some nice stacking here.)
Suggestions?

Stacking seems like a really bad idea on some one 5'2".

I was helping my wife mark some jeans for hemming and pinned them at
a stacking length. She really didn't like the look on her. It made her legs look shorter and wide.

They were Acne jeans btw.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Nudie slim kim looks great on chick ass.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M'lady wears Acnes, Nudie thin finns (some stretch, which the ladies like), and Slim Jims for a straight leg fit. I'd recommend nudie. Does denimbirds still exist?

June

Reaction score
Super Slim Kims.

The Sling & Stones actually look nice in photos, but I've never seen them in person.

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
M'lady wears Acnes, Nudie thin finns (some stretch, which the ladies like), and Slim Jims for a straight leg fit. I'd recommend nudie. Does denimbirds still exist?

Denim Bar has Denim Bird.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
cheap monday will be form fitting..
also april77 might be what shes looking for too...

Imo unless you're on a serious budget, Cheap Monday isn't worth buying. They are cheap for a reason.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think stacking would look good on a chick.

nope not at all.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If the girl's got nice long legs and the jeans are skinny and work well with it, i've seen plenty of girls looking sexy with some stacks. Some girl was killing it in a pair of normal express jeans. They actually had a nice indigo color to them too. Kind of like the ugly indigo color they normally have but then washed a few times.

Don't get your girl april 77 or cheap monday unless she's hella tall and skinny. The high rise looks good on like 10% of girls i've seen wearing them.

Check out Slings and Stones denim. It's kinda pricey at retail, but i've seen some really good fits on girls. The self edge fit pics aren't that great, but they're real nice jeans from what i've heard/seen (haven't felt yet).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads