• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raw jeans newbie.....help me out here?

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I wanna get a pair of raw jeans, but I don't really know where to start. I don't wanna spend too much, so i'd rather find a pair that's on the cheaper end or on sale or something. Preferably a dark blue, and definitely not a baggy fit but I'm not into the really slim fits either. But whatever...

The thing is I have no idea where/how to find raw denim outside the internet, and I don't like buying clothes online. Where can you buy raw jeans, and how do you know if denim you find in a store is "raw" or not? I was un Urban Outfitters the other day and came across a $50 pair of BDG jeans that sorta looked like raw denim, and there was a sticker on the leg that warned about fading and whatnot. Does that mean it's raw denim? Also, if they are, does that mean if I got those jeans I should get a size or two too small?

Also, if raw denim fades a lot with wear, does that mean the ink rubs off onto furniture and other clothes and stuff? If so, then, uh......how the hell do you wear them around without ruining stuff, and how do you prevent it?

Thanks.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
http://www.levisstore.com/product/in...entPage=family You can find them at Macy's or the Levi's store. Make sure they're the "Shrink-to-Fit" kind, raw denim has a more rigid texture than normal washed jeans.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
blush.gif
spam[1].gif
plain.gif
boxing[1].gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
CLICK HERE!!!! http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12729
musicboohoo[1].gif
marchal.gif
lol8[1].gif
devil.gif
(Brilliant collection of smiles courtesy of whodini)

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Do they sell any raw Levis 527s? I prefer that fit (of the one's I've tried) to the 501s. And if a pair says "shrink to fit" does that basically mean it's raw?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm new to raw jeans as well and i just ordered these levis 514 raw http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...Type=EverGreen

They're under "rigid scraped" color. I really like the 514 fit and they look pretty good for $32. They have a couple creases on them, but it's not that big a deal. I'm gonna wear these for about a month and maybe buy a better pair of raw jeans(apc ns probably) over winter break. They're definitely good for beginner raw jeans if you're not sure about em'.

They're a bit different from the 501 stf in fit and stuff. With the 514rigid, you don't have to worry about the shrink to fit process. They're good low maitenance starter jeans. Plus, if you screw them up somehow, they're only $32. They're slim fit, but not skinny.

picture009vz8.jpg

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Shrink to Fit basiclly means it's unwashed, so yes it's raw denim.
I think the only current Shrink to Fit denim is the 501, so if you want a low rise boot cut pair then you'll have to spend some extra cash.
The Nudies Bootcut Ola should be a similar fit but those go for about $150.

Raw denim normally has tags warning about shrinkage.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
thanks theshonen, that clears some things up.

chronoaug- thanks, I'll look into those. Did you mean "rigid scraped" instead of "resin scraped" though? The levis site has the former but not the latter.
Not being shrink-to-fit has nothing to do with raw denim fading over time, right? And does shrink to fit mean I need to buy a size or two smaller than usual, or not?

And what the hell, you linked to macys.com, does that mean the site is working for you? It hasn't worked for me in days.

Also, I have to know, will the dye in raw denim rub off onto fabrics if I wear it around?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Macy's is working for me o_O
Yes raw denim bleeds, so be careful if you plan on keeping it raw. Most people soak their unsafornized denim *denim that shrinks* to get the maximum shrinkage out of it and kill off some of the indigo that bleeds. Should'nt be too much of a problem though.
The jeans that chrono is talking about is the Levi's Red 514 Rigid Scraped. The resin wash is only avalible for the slim straight styled version which goes for $68 which is a complete rip off. Macy's already ended their sale so the 514's are back up to $45 which is still a pretty good deal considering it was originally $68.

Before buying anything just do some research. Stick around on this forum and if you're curious about something then search it or look at the second link I have in the first post.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
alright, cool. Giving them an initial wash won't completely prevent a 'custom' fade though, will it?

And WTF, macys.com isn't working for me at all, on either of my computers. Maybe they don't want me making online payments. conspiracy?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
You shouldn't really notice a diference in color except that it'll lose it's "shine" and rigidness.
Just a soak in 60 degree water, not a wash.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Ok, so the continuation in my quest for raw jeans. I ended up going to Kohls to return something, and looked in their jeans section and came across a pair of Levis that sorta has that raw look/feel. I'm probably wrong. They're Levi's 517, a really dark blue. They just kinda stood out because they're a dark, solid color with a bit of sheen and felt kinda rigid/stiff. I kinda liked how they look on me, and they're only like 25 bucks. They're not raw jeans, are they? Pretty sure they're these And if I got a pair would they stretch out much? I went to Macys, and I couldn't find one pair of jeans that had any tags or anything that even alluded to them being raw denim. I saw some 514s but they didn't look 'raw', and I found a couple that looked and felt like raw denim (kinda stiff and shiny) but they weren't my size. I tried on the 514s anyway and didn't like the fit at all, so oh well. I went back to Urban Outfitters and tried on some of those BDG jeans that I think are raw...boot fit and straight fits. I found a couple I might've gotten but I still don't know if I'm supposed to get a size too small or what. Does anyone know what jeans I'm talking about though? They look and feel like they're raw, but I just wanna make sure.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Ok, so the continuation in my quest for raw jeans.

I ended up going to Kohls to return something, and looked in their jeans section and came across a pair of Levis that sorta has that raw look/feel. I'm probably wrong. They're Levi's 517, a really dark blue. They just kinda stood out because they're a dark, solid color with a bit of sheen and felt kinda rigid/stiff. I kinda liked how they look on me, and they're only like 25 bucks. They're not raw jeans, are they? Pretty sure they're these And if I got a pair would they stretch out much?

I went to Macys, and I couldn't find one pair of jeans that had any tags or anything that even alluded to them being raw denim. I saw some 514s but they didn't look 'raw', and I found a couple that looked and felt like raw denim (kinda stiff and shiny) but they weren't my size. I tried on the 514s anyway and didn't like the fit at all, so oh well.

I went back to Urban Outfitters and tried on some of those BDG jeans that I think are raw...boot fit and straight fits. I found a couple I might've gotten but I still don't know if I'm supposed to get a size too small or what. Does anyone know what jeans I'm talking about though? They look and feel like they're raw, but I just wanna make sure.

The BDG jeans are not raw, they're one-wash, they will not shrink.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Wth? I've never seen raw 517's. I need to stop relying on the crappy site.

Don't think of raw denim as a must. Chances are that if you're buying cheap raws then you'll end up soaking them anyways, taking away the shine. If you like the fit and color of a pair of jeans, then buy them. Raw shouldn't be a deciding factor. All that matters is how you like the jeans and how long they'll last you.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
If you just want a pair of dark jeans, don't worry about raw so much. Those BDG one washes you saw at urbanoutfitters will do fine. Another member here has them and they look really solid for the price. For under $50, i'd say just get those if you're looking for just a dark jean. Then you don't have to worry about the raw aspect if that's bothering you.

If you want to test the waters with a raw jean, i'd reccomend getting the levis raw 514s. Under $50 so even if you end up not liking the whole raw thing, it's not a big deal.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I just wanted to find a pair of raw jeans to mess around with. I figured the fading would be more apparant with darker jeans, and I don't really have a pair of really dark jeans anyway. It's not that I "don't want to worry about the raw aspect"....that's what I've been looking for! I just wish there were a pair of inexpensive raw jeans other than the 514s. I tried those on and really didn't care for the look on me. It squishes my butt and then makes my lower legs look really skinny (which they are).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics