• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raw jeans newbie.....help me out here?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
He doesn't like the fit of the 514's
The one justlooking posted is a really nice deal so you should try on the 517's and make note of the tightest size you could fit into, then order that one.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
He doesn't like the fit of the 514's
The one justlooking posted is a really nice deal so you should try on the 517's and make note of the tightest size you could fit into, then order that one.

Those look like the ones I tried on at Kohls. I wonder if they're the exact same. I wish they labeled the color somewhere on the tags. I'll probably just get those, and keep on the lookout for some non-slimfit raws in the meantime.

mrmartinmiii

Reaction score
are these the jeans that you bought off of macys? i really like the color on them, with the little bit of red.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Alright I looked into it some more, and it turns out the ones I got at Kohls (which I may just return) are "rinsed indigo", and you guys are suggesting I get the "rigid indigo". What is the difference between the two?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Raw basically means unwashed. So if they're rinsed indigo, they have already been washed at least once. Raw(rigid) jeans have never been washed. The effects of wear such as whiskering and natural fading show up better on raw jeans if you wear them for a few months before washing them for the first time. It helps create a jean unique to you, unlike the washed jeans which won't change much after wear.

If you want the raw517s, just find the size at kohls that fit you best, then order the rigid version online to be sure. Rigid/raw/unwashed jeans have only a niche market it the US, so most department stores don't carry them. A lot of companies have indigo colored washed jeans though(like the BDGs you saw and the levis you returned). It's rough because you can't try on all the jeans you see people talking about on here, which is definitely a problem for me. But trying the normal version on in the store, should help give you an idea what to order online. Once you have a pair of jeans that fit you good, you can take measurements of them and apply that when looking for "online only" jeans in the future.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Cool, so those rigid 517s are raw? I guess I shall return these to kohls and order those then. Thanks.
biggrin.gif
Wait, they don't sell rigid 527s do they?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I think you guys need to figure out that raw only has a shine. If you rinse it you don't lose much indigo and should get pretty much the same fading, some people even claim they get better fading after a rinse.

The 517 will probably shrink in the wash but you should still size normally because it'll strech. Just get the size of the tightest fit you can get ont he 517's at Kohl's like I told you.

527 is low rise bootcut, not relaxed. I'm not sure if they carry a rigid version of it but after seeing that there actually is a rigid 517 you can't lose all hope. Try googling it and see what you come up with.

Fit > Raw in my book. If you love the 527 fit more than the 517 fit, then get the 527 fit in the darkest color.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Hey guys, first post here. I wanna get a pair of raw jeans, but I don't really know where to start. I don't wanna spend too much, so i'd rather find a pair that's on the cheaper end or on sale or something. Preferably a dark blue, and definitely not a baggy fit but I'm not into the really slim fits either. But whatever...

The thing is I have no idea where/how to find raw denim outside the internet, and I don't like buying clothes online. Where can you buy raw jeans, and how do you know if denim you find in a store is "raw" or not? I was un Urban Outfitters the other day and came across a $50 pair of BDG jeans that sorta looked like raw denim, and there was a sticker on the leg that warned about fading and whatnot. Does that mean it's raw denim? Also, if they are, does that mean if I got those jeans I should get a size or two too small?

Also, if raw denim fades a lot with wear, does that mean the ink rubs off onto furniture and other clothes and stuff? If so, then, uh......how the hell do you wear them around without ruining stuff, and how do you prevent it?

Thanks.

The fading doesn't start until you wash them. While you're wearing them unwashed, you're basically laying the "foundation" for the fading that will happen when you wash them.

thereverend

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw those rigid 517's at a workwear store. I wanted to buy them (since I like cheap stuff) and decided not to. I have a pair in rinsed indigo and I am not crazy about them. After washing them they developed all kinds of streaks where they were folded in the spin cycle. I suppose this could easily be prevented had I been more careful. I think the 501 STF seem decent. I have been wearing mine for about 1.5 months and they are comfortable and sturdy. I also have Wrangler Slim Fit Cowboy Cut unwashed jeans. The fit is nice (though rather tight) and I can tell that they will last for a long time.

I was at Gap a couple of weeks ago. They have some raw japanese selvage denim they are selling for $99. I tried them on and the fit was just OK to me. They seemed too busy in terms of coin pocket stitching and such. On top of that, I don't really trust Gap's denim since every pair I have owned has self destructed with minimal wear. I am talking about "Hey, see you guys later" to my friends as I get out of the back seat and I feel something tear, and it turns out to be a HUGE 6" tear next to the back pocket. I don't think I did anything crazy getting out of that car, but who knows. All their stuff has done that to me except for my denim jacket.

I do really want to buy the 1947 LVC 501, and I don't know why. Weird.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks again guys. Who know the world of jeans was so complex! Anyway, I went to a couple more stars (needed to return those rinsed indigo 517s to Kohls anyway), and stopped in a JC Penny and noticed they had buttloads of jeans. I came across a pair that clearly looked like "raw denim", or whatever. The brand is East/West. Anyone here have any experience with this brand? It's a dark blackish-blue denim, straight fit, and I tried it on and liked the fit a wee bit more than those rigid 517s I ordered. But they were around 50 bucks. I bought them, I can always return them if I decide I don't want'em, or after my 517s arive and I compare them. Here are a couple pictures: http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4691/2kc9.jpg http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9865/3id4.jpg btw, the tag on the jeans reads: Wash gently in cold water, insdide out and use a light detergent only. THe fabric will soften with wear and will fade over time. ... Beware: The natural indigo blue dye in these jeans rubs off very easily and will stain any light colored surface they come into contact with. That means it's raw denim, right? Anyway, so after I returned those 517s to Kohls I looked around and happened upon these Urban Up jeans and thought they looked kinda interesting. They were only like 15 bucks so I figured I'd just get them for the hell of it. The fray design on the back pockets is maybe a bit much, but overall they're pretty unique to the rest of my jeans. What do you think? Yeah I know, they're cheap, but whatever...they were $15. http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4364/1li5.jpg thereverend- sucks you've had bad experiences with Gap jeans. I've really liked their jean selection the past year or two, and have had no problems with any of their denim.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'd dump the $15 jeans and stick with the East/West pair, which I'm assuming is a house brand. They appear to have a pretty traditional fit which looks pretty flattering. I could probably do without the back stitching but at least it's low key. Judging from the close up pics they appear to be a non-streaky version of the BDG's. I'd be curious to see what the weight/feel/construction is like on them but $50 ain't too bad. If you decide to return them, they might go on sale sooner or later. $30-40 would makes these a pretty decent buy.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, please return the $15 ones.

justlooking

Reaction score
if you really want cheap raw jeans..just go buy rustlers at walmart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads