• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place Appreciation thread.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
m, I must say, I am jealous of the product that you are able to get. I don't live very far from you and in a pretty similar area, I gather, and yet my seletion of stuff is quite limited. You seem to find various fish and other proteins that I never see at even the best retail markets around here.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

m, I must say, I am jealous of the product that you are able to get. I don't live very far from you and in a pretty similar area, I gather, and yet my seletion of stuff is quite limited. You seem to find various fish and other proteins that I never see at even the best retail markets around here.

Those two fish came from the Lobster Place at Chelsea Market. They usually have the best selection. AEK just mentioned to me that they'll be getting turbot on a regular basis. The Atlantic Dory is harder to get because there is no dedicated fishery for it. It tastes better than the New Zealand, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
so you come into the city every day just to buy protein?

CM is an easy E-train ride for me but still I have bought protein there and brought it home all of once. I guess I am lazy. Scatch that, I know I am.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

CM is an easy E-train ride for me but still I have bought protein there and brought it home all of once. I guess I am lazy. Scatch that, I know I am.

well that's not very productive now is it

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. I just buy fish there when I'm in the city. Unless there's something I really want to make, then I might go out of the way (which was the case here). The drive in really isn't that bad for me.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fileting etc., do I have to consider anything when buying a fileting knife? It has to be flexible, right?, which the knife I currently use is not. Want to pay like 20€.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You need a flexible knife for flat fish, not for round fish. At that price, I'd be looking at Forschner.

As it happens, I have a jones for a yo-deba but the prices are scaring me off.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big Japanese knife fan but for fileting fish just get a Victorinox (Forschner) flexible filet knife. Will cost you $20-$25 USD

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a big Japanese knife fan but for fileting fish just get a Victorinox (Forschner) flexible filet knife. Will cost you $20-$25 USD

You need a flexible knife for flat fish, not for round fish. At that price, I'd be looking at Forschner.
As it happens, I have a jones for a yo-deba but the prices are scaring me off.

Thanks.
So, Manton, you'd buy both a flex and non-flex Forschner knife? Have to think about it, but I guess I'll go for the non-flex one first as I rather filet round than flat fishes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I would just get the flex, it works well enough on round fish. The only reason you would need a big heavy deba-type knife is if you are breaking down real beasties, tunas as big as torpedos. I just want one because I want one, not because I need one.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would just get the flex, it works well enough on round fish. The only reason you would need a big heavy deba-type knife is if you are breaking down real beasties, tunas as big as torpedos. I just want one because I want one, not because I need one.

+1
i use a flex for both types of fish; it let's you cut close to the bone ... it's absolutely necessary to do a flatfish well, but it's convenient with roundfish, too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Japanese style is better for round fish, no doubt. It makes sense, as their cuisine is based on round fish and french on sole and turbot.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those two fish came from the Lobster Place at Chelsea Market. They usually have the best selection. AEK just mentioned to me that they'll be getting turbot on a regular basis. The Atlantic Dory is harder to get because there is no dedicated fishery for it. It tastes better than the New Zealand, in my opinion.

Yes. I don't buy a ton of stuff there, but I've just been emailing with a manager and he's been quite helpful in offering to get whatever I want. Seems like it hasn't been too big of a deal to have them get me a Dory and a Turbot. I'd imagine that they can just have stuff sent over from their wholesale arm if you ask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads