• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Do you know of any sites that have Denime that ship to the U.S.? Thats one of the reasons I was looking at APCs I know they ship here and have heard good things about their site. Do you think ordering a larger size in the APC english style jeans would be good for a baggy fit?
Denime jeans are not sanforized - you HAVE to order at least a size up if you want them to fit. Last I checked, Aero had an insane deal on the Denime XX (they ship to America). The XX is a relaxed, baggy fit (even though Aero describes it as being slim). Aero Clothing

HitMan009

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the fit properties of the Levi's 517.  At 26.99 @ Kohls, I can use some as a throw around pair.  

BTW, thanks everyone for the excellent advice

Sevcom

Reaction score
As a knockaround pair, 517s are decent. Crappy denim, and the rise is too high for my liking, but for $20-something, they're OK. However, I kinda regret not just saving the money towards a pair of APC Rescue jeans, which are of vastly higher quality.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
but the tapering on the helmut lang classic cut is so minimal you won't even notice it

i measured my pairs today, and they're only a 1/2 inch difference from knee to bottom of the leg (9 inches wide at knee and 8 1/2 inches at the bottom of the leg)

you really can't notice any tapering when you wear them
I guess it may depend on the year of manufacture. I have a pair that are quite old now ('99 I believe), and the taper is VERY significant.

Dan

Brian SD

Reaction score
BTW, I checked Aero again and it appears that the Denime XX jeans are sold out. Bummer. They were only 60 GBP and were still in their vaccuum-sealed package.

reydogg23

Reaction score
^ Yeah I thought I was missing something. But I will probably go with the APC english styles...

Brian SD

Reaction score
^ Yeah I thought I was missing something. But I will probably go with the APC english styles...
Good decision. Be warned - I have heard on multiple occasions that the style is being discontinued, so once they sell out, they're sold out for good.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hitman,
I second Hermes recommendation for Helmut Lang. They're about the most conventional and conservative jean found on the market today. I have no experience with APC, so I can't make comparisons. Price shouldn't be much of a factor, b/c Yoox usually has a fair selection of HL at modest-great discounts. John Varvatos also offers a similar cut to his jeans... the denim is definitely inferior compared to the major jean companies, but again, I like Varvatos' minimal styling and dark wash. Just cut the tag off the back pocket and you'll be good to go.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
just came back from a rockabilly weeklong festival, which is a selvedge denim haven.

if yer in so cal there is a UK geezer selling repros of the Levis buckleback in raw selvedge denim for $95. needless to say these went like hotcakes at the weekender.

+1 on the Nudie ralf dry selvedge

Brian SD

Reaction score
just came back from a rockabilly weeklong festival, which is a selvedge denim haven. if yer in so cal there is a UK geezer selling repros of the Levis buckleback in raw selvedge denim for $95. needless to say these went like hotcakes at the weekender. +1 on the Nudie ralf dry selvedge
$95 is cheap cheap cheap. Almost as cheap as the $85 I'm asking for the 47's on Buying/Selling
smile.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Get Smart @ April 18 2005,13:24) just came back from a rockabilly weeklong festival, which is a selvedge denim haven. if yer in so cal there is a UK geezer selling repros of the Levis buckleback in raw selvedge denim for $95. needless to say these went like hotcakes at the weekender. +1 on the Nudie ralf dry selvedge
$95 is cheap cheap cheap. Almost as cheap as the $85 I'm asking for the 47's on Buying/Selling
smile.gif

Now, that is some shameful advertising
smile.gif
Too bad you don't have a 32x34. .luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads