• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim versus... um Non Raw Looks.

tallguy1337

Reaction score
I dont know what Raw denim is exactly, but I know it looks different, almost slicker. Ill do the research but I wonder... Which one looks better? Raw or Non Raw.. in real life.. Ive only seen it on websites.

Studio27

Reaction score
boxing[1].gif
boxing[1].gif
boxing[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

incoming!!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to sears, check out the raw

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Raw in pictures and in real life look about the same. It's just dark jeans. Surely you've seen garment dyed jeans at the gap and such. I know the gap carries really dark indigoish jeans. Raw jeans aren't that much different looking than those color wise depending on what brand you buy. You can compare at a place like that if you've only worn light jeans before. It'll be hard to find actual raw jeans at the mall, so look at those to get an idea. They look a lot classier in my opinion than lighter jeans. Most outfits i wear look better with my dark jeans than the light pair i have left over that i usually use for dirty work.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think he's discussing the fact that some dry jeans (like RRDS) have a little bit of a sheen to them.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked raw denim because it conforms to the body. I bought my 1955 501xx repro U.S. made 'shrink to fit' about 15 years ago and it still looks amazing. It's definitely a collector's item now.

Halifamous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Wow you guys are way too nice.
Yup. Imagine if this was posted in superdenim. Ok, to the first poster. Raw denim (raw selvedge specifically) is absolutely the best denim you can buy. Why? Because it is the real thing. The entire washed denim industry is just attempting to replicate by manufacturing process the effect of wearing a real (read: raw) pair of jeans for several years. Raw Selvedge denim is made on classic shuttle looms that produce a tighter weave that wont deteriorate or shift as badly with wear, it is fully dyed so that wearing it will produce unique fades based on what you do with the jeans on, it is untreated and stiff so that it will mold to your body over time and eventually be absolutely the best fitting pair of jeans you have ever owned. I look at denim the same way as sex, raw is the natural way, and once you've had it raw, you can't go back.

ino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous
Yup.

Imagine if this was posted in superdenim.

Ok, to the first poster. Raw denim (raw selvedge specifically) is absolutely the best denim you can buy. Why? Because it is the real thing. The entire washed denim industry is just attempting to replicate by manufacturing process the effect of wearing a real (read: raw) pair of jeans for several years. Raw Selvedge denim is made on classic shuttle looms that produce a tighter weave that wont deteriorate or shift as badly with wear, it is fully dyed so that wearing it will produce unique fades based on what you do with the jeans on, it is untreated and stiff so that it will mold to your body over time and eventually be absolutely the best fitting pair of jeans you have ever owned.

I look at denim the same way as sex, raw is the natural way, and once you've had it raw, you can't go back.

roflmao good one

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Raw in pictures and in real life look about the same.

You are aware how stiff and rigid true raw jeans are right? None of the jeans at Gap are truly raw excluding the Gough's due to the fact Gap either predistresses them or give them a rinse. If you look at 13MWZ Wranglers at Target or Levi's 501 STF at Macy's then you'd understand.

thelion1856

Reaction score
yeah once you go raw you pass up all the washed jeans. i only have raw jeans right now (4 pairs)

Another thing, raw jeans will turn into washed jeans over time. What better wear and fit than to make the wash with your own body rather than buying a washed jean that the wash was made by factory and does not look natural or correct on you?

So with raw its like 2 jeans in one.

tallguy1337

Reaction score
Thanks guys great replies, on a side note:

You say they form to "fit" you. Does that mean skintight or close to it... I have rather large thighs due to running and am wondering if it would look silly =D thanks.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tallguy1337
Thanks guys great replies, on a side note:

You say they form to "fit" you. Does that mean skintight or close to it... I have rather large thighs due to running and am wondering if it would look silly =D thanks.

They are available in all sorts of cuts, there should be plenty that fit you.

Studio27

Reaction score
I have rather large thighs due to running
... uhhh... yeah, i'll leave it at that. i'm sure you'll find something that fits

theshonen8899

Reaction score
You say they form to "fit" you.

The only noticable forming to fit jeans would be unsafornized jeans like 501 Shrink-to-Fits, and those are relatively loose jeans so it shouldn't be skin tight. As PG2G said, there are plenty of fits that suit you, just stay away from tapered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads