• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim on a Budget

zriggle

Reaction score
I'd like to get a pair of raw denim jeans, to see if I like the custom scene. I'm not much of a fashion guy, and have no opposition to wearing factory-distressed jeans. However, before I drop a significant chunk of money on a pair of Nudies (or similar), I though I'd start small, with something I can toss if I don't like the way it turns out.

I found these at Express, but I'm unsure of whether what they state as raw denim will be something that will wear and distress in a similar fashion to higher-end jeans -- or if I'm just buying a pair of jeans that will never accumulate any of its own style.

I apologize if this question seems silly or basic, but like I said -- I've just started to look into the topic.

Also, as far as denim goes in general, here's how I understand it:
1. Wear them. All the time. There are various things that can be done to add personal details (e.g. rust, dirt, sandpaper, bleaching), but the basic idea is to wear them. A lot.
2. Do not wash them until they look the way I want them to look permanently (a few months of wear)
3. In the mean-time, dry-cleaning *is* OK if they start to get smelly

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Levi's 501 STF, can probably get them <$30 (retail $40) Don't use sandpaper/anything artificial or you'll become a laughing stock Wash them whenever you feel like, 6mo. is a general rule, you don't have to adhere to it Dry cleaning is for pussies... was hit if they get disgusting, otherwise air it out in the sun/fresh air, fabreeze it, or steam it in the shower to remove smells PS, you should have searched... there's a "READ FIRST" thread stickied PPS, I jumped right into the whole raw denim thing with KMWs, as long as you do the research and make sure you're getting a good product that will last/fit you and make you happy, don't be afraid to spend. It's pretty hard to mess up something as simple as wearing jeans
smile.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
No.

Do not buy those jeans.

Here's some questions:

1. How much can you spend?
2. What type of cut do you want?
3. Are you willing to save up until you can afford a nicer pair, or do you want to purchase now?

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
No.

Do not buy those jeans.

Here's some questions:

1. How much can you spend?
2. What type of cut do you want?
3. Are you willing to save up until you can afford a nicer pair, or do you want to purchase now?

just get a nice pair now. you'll be sorry if you don't.

kit99bar

Reaction score
agreed 100%. If you intend to wear these jeans all the time to get good fades you might as well spend more and get something nice.

Originally Posted by givemefive
just get a nice pair now. you'll be sorry if you don't.

Lovegasoline

Reaction score
I was in Uniqlo's NYC store this evening and the have their straight leg, raw selvedge jeans on sale for $49.95 (reduced from I think $79.95). Plenty of sizes were in stock. This is about as 'budget' as raw selvedge gets.

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
I was in Uniqlo's NYC store this evening and the have their straight leg, raw selvedge jeans on sale for $49.95 (reduced from I think $79.95). Plenty of sizes were in stock. This is about as 'budget' as raw selvedge gets.

the fabric is so thin. great it you want an occasional dark jean. not so great if you want to destroy them.

j.chew

Reaction score
Get sum Nudie Jeans. You'll get a lot of mileage outta them.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j.chew
Get sum Nudie Jeans. You'll get a lot of mileage outta them.

If I were going to pay retail for a pair of jeans, Nudie would probably be the last brand I chose.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
If I were going to pay retail for a pair of jeans, Nudie would probably be the last brand I chose.

Really? I'm about to buy a pair of Slim Jim's. Why?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are dozens of better choices at the same price point that would be better quality denim and better quality craftsmanship than Nudie, and if you take advantage of one of the SF affiliates you can get them even cheaper.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by givemefive
the fabric is so thin. great it you want an occasional dark jean. not so great if you want to destroy them.

You sure you're talking about Uniqlo Selvedge? 'em are made of 13 oz denim IIRC, quite slubby too. The fabric is from Kaihara mill, which also makes denim for Oni, some LVC etc.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Oh, well the pair I'm buying is less than half the price from the B&amp;S section, so it'll be worth it.

keikun13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You sure you're talking about Uniqlo Selvedge? 'em are made of 13 oz denim IIRC, quite slubby too. The fabric is from Kaihara mill, which also makes denim for Oni, some LVC etc.
I donno... I was the the Uniqlo store in NYC just yesterday and I was about to pick up a pair, but they really didn't seem too great. They felt really crappy to me, but then again, they were pretty cheap (for selvege) and I suppose I was comparing them to the APCs I was wearing at the time.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the thing to remember is we're not all built the same, financially or in terms of our denim needs/wants. If you have a limited budget and just want a solid pair of jeans for right now, go with Levis 501 STFs or something else you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads