• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim for Business Casual

The Obsessor

Reaction score
Hello Denimheads:
I will be visiting Self Edge and Blue in Green in NYC next month (June) to purchase my third pair of raw denim. My first two purchases were a pair of Jean Shop Rockers and a pair of APC Rescues. But I will be starting a new job in retail where I have been told that the dress code is "hip/sheik business casual," so I need a nice, new clean pair of raw denim that I will normally wear with a blazer. I am not too concerned about color, as raw denim is quite dark, and I am not too concerned about speed of fading because if it is fast, I will have an excuse to buy another pair, and if fading is slow, then they will continue to be suitable for my work environment. But what I am very concerned about is FIT. I need a straight cut fit that is slightly slimmer than a normal straight cut, but not skinny--something that will look good with a blazer, shirt, and tie. I could purchase another pair of Jean Shop Rockers, as they would satisfy my needs, but I want to try something new. I hope to spend no more than $400, if possible . Any thoughts on raw denim for business casual?

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Obsessor
Hello Denimheads:
I will be visiting Self Edge and Blue in Green in NYC next month (June) to purchase my third pair of raw denim. My first two purchases were a pair of Jean Shop Rockers and a pair of APC Rescues. But I will be starting a new job in retail where I have been told that the dress code is "hip/sheik business casual," so I need a nice, new clean pair of raw denim that I will normally wear with a blazer. I am not too concerned about color, as raw denim is quite dark, and I am not too concerned about speed of fading because if it is fast, I will have an excuse to buy another pair, and if fading is slow, then they will continue to be suitable for my work environment. But what I am very concerned about is FIT. I need a straight cut fit that is slightly slimmer than a normal straight cut, but not skinny--something that will look good with a blazer, shirt, and tie. I could purchase another pair of Jean Shop Rockers, as they would satisfy my needs, but I want to try something new. I hope to spend no more than $400, if possible . Any thoughts on raw denim for business casual?

This.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RRL Slim Fit Rigid. Slim, not skinny

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well..they can probably answer that best for you instore plus you'll be able to see it right then and there. I mean, isn't that why you're going there instead of mail ordering it?

The Obsessor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lesamourai
Well..they can probably answer that best for you instore plus you'll be able to see it right then and there. I mean, isn't that why you're going there instead of mail ordering it?

Yes. But I was hoping to get some guidance beforehand because I do not want to spend a full day trying on jeans at not only Self Edge and Blue in Green, but also the various brand/boutique stores I plan to visit. Also, I suspect that a salesperson would not recommend a style in which they are sold out of my size, even if it would be perfect for my business casual needs. In that case, I would rather find another store that has what I need. I expect to be completely overwhelmed when I arrive and that I will want to buy everything. So I am hoping to arrive with some insight ahead of time. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sheik casual that is totally hip, I would check out some Damir Doma mainline stuff.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just be careful/aware of indigo transfer onto shirts
plain.gif

larryr

Reaction score
Somet. Very clean looking raw denim. Picked up a pair recently at BiG. Would look fine with a blazer.

kit99bar

Reaction score
Samurai 710s sounds like what you are describing
smile.gif

hem it so you can do a short cuff with no stacks

The Obsessor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
just be careful/aware of indigo transfer onto shirts
plain.gif

Great point. I rarely tuck a shirt into denim, and never a white oxford shirt. So I had not even thought about that. I suppose I could get a resin coated jean to minimize indigo bleeding, but I'd be afraid that I would NEVER get any fades. Although that might be good for the workplace, I expect I would get bored with them after a year or so of them looking almost the same--the process is half the fun. Plus, I would never have an excuse to drop $300-$400 to buy another pair for work.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean "chic" casual, unless you really want "sheikh" casual:

HH-Sheikh-Hamdan-fazzaa-9132389-310-410.jpg

But seriously, you can wear pretty much anything as long as it's fairly dark, slim but not skinny, and looks clean. Just go check out the stores and find what you like. And RKD made a really, really good point about indigo transfer. I'd stay away from resin coating for the office, so maybe just wear the jeans around for a little while to get rid of most of the loose indigo. You can also try soaking in cold salt water, which supposedly helps set the dye. Here's info from oki-ni:

"If your jeans are heavily pigmented dry or raw denim, washing cold with salt for the first cycle should help to set any loose dye in the fabric. Do be aware that fresh indigo dye will transfer, getting it on your hands or legs is fine - it'll wash off but avoid light upholstery, white leather shoes etc for the first wear or two."
http://www.oki-ni.com/page/denimcareguide

Nizza

Reaction score
MWOC very nice selvage, great when cuffed

The Obsessor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdgn123
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ht-Jean/Detail ?

I definately like the price on these, but I am not familiar with them. I'll do a search for some before and after pictures. If they look good in person, then I may buy a pair of these in addition to whatever I get for work. For the price, this would be a good pair to experiment with different shrinking techniques, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads