• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw denim - do I need to hem or will it shorten?

slmartin

Reaction score
Hello -

I've tried searching for this answer, but the answer is so subjective I just can't tell whether these are too long or not.

Anyway, I purchased a pair of APC New Standard 32 waist today and was wondering whether I should get them hemmed or will they shorten with time?

I've attached the pics.

Thanks.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the downsides of raw denim: they do shorten with time, after more than a year they may be too short. Some people have kept their jeans so long they naturally turned into shorts.

Now not to be a complete ass...they will not shrink too much, maybe a cm. The jeans are sanforized, not shrink to fit. These jeans are pre-shrunk. However, from the wording of your post, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, or, if you are just wondering if they look OK, and in that case I would say they could stand to lose a bit of length.

givemefive

Reaction score
I'd break them in for a month so that they fit better (the starch will leave the denim and cause the jeans to fit differently) Also the waist will stretch out so you might end up wearing them at a different part of your waist. Then take in to account the fact they will shrink .5" after a wash. Then hem them.

slmartin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

sho'nuff: I didn't know what stacking was, but I looked it up and I guess it's just letting them stay as is?

HEWSINATOR: Yeah, a little of both, I guess it was quite obfuscated
wink.gif

givemefive: That probably makes sense; as I'm new to raw denim, I guess as long as they don't look *that* bad, I can hold out to hem them.

why: And yes, I am getting new shoes
wink.gif
I was embarrassed to go get my mail in these things, but I didn't realize all my other shoes and boots would look so bad with slim jeans, so I dug those out from the back of the closet since they most closely resemble the size of shoe I'm going to get.

brohymn

Reaction score
I'm a huge proponent of stacking, yet I still think you could (should) get those hemmed a little. I would take like, maybe 1.5" at most off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics