• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Raw denim - do I need to hem or will it shorten?

slmartin

Reaction score
Hello -

I've tried searching for this answer, but the answer is so subjective I just can't tell whether these are too long or not.

Anyway, I purchased a pair of APC New Standard 32 waist today and was wondering whether I should get them hemmed or will they shorten with time?

I've attached the pics.

Thanks.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one of the downsides of raw denim: they do shorten with time, after more than a year they may be too short. Some people have kept their jeans so long they naturally turned into shorts.

Now not to be a complete ass...they will not shrink too much, maybe a cm. The jeans are sanforized, not shrink to fit. These jeans are pre-shrunk. However, from the wording of your post, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, or, if you are just wondering if they look OK, and in that case I would say they could stand to lose a bit of length.

givemefive

Reaction score
I'd break them in for a month so that they fit better (the starch will leave the denim and cause the jeans to fit differently) Also the waist will stretch out so you might end up wearing them at a different part of your waist. Then take in to account the fact they will shrink .5" after a wash. Then hem them.

slmartin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice.

sho'nuff: I didn't know what stacking was, but I looked it up and I guess it's just letting them stay as is?

HEWSINATOR: Yeah, a little of both, I guess it was quite obfuscated

givemefive: That probably makes sense; as I'm new to raw denim, I guess as long as they don't look *that* bad, I can hold out to hem them.

why: And yes, I am getting new shoes
I was embarrassed to go get my mail in these things, but I didn't realize all my other shoes and boots would look so bad with slim jeans, so I dug those out from the back of the closet since they most closely resemble the size of shoe I'm going to get.

brohymn

Reaction score
I'm a huge proponent of stacking, yet I still think you could (should) get those hemmed a little. I would take like, maybe 1.5" at most off.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 135 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 252 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.9%
  • 31 - 40