• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim Break-in Time?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This forum has convinced me that raw denim is not only stylish but fun. However, I can't wear jeans to the office and might only wear them one day per weekend (I have other streetwear pants that I enjoy too!). Also, I'd like slim jeans because that's a hole in my wardrobe. My question is: do you think I will get full value out of a pair of, say, APCs or Nudies?

How much of the joy of raw denim comes after it is broken in? How long is that going to take me at that rate of wear? How long will the slim cut look be fashionable?

Or should I save my $ and get some Gaps or Levi's just to dabble?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
This forum has convinced me that raw denim is not only stylish but fun. However, I can't wear jeans to the office and might only wear them one day per weekend (I have other streetwear pants that I enjoy too!). Also, I'd like slim jeans because that's a hole in my wardrobe. My question is: do you think I will get full value out of a pair of, say, APCs or Nudies?

How much of the joy of raw denim comes after it is broken in? How long is that going to take me at that rate of wear? How long will the slim cut look be fashionable?

Personally, I like the look of raw denim when they are pretty dark, so I have a number of raw jeans and don't wear them every day. A lot of people here don't even wear their raw jeans after they have the worn look, just so you know, it's the process they like.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
If you've read "The Little Prince" and agreed with the little prince's feelings about his lone rose on his planet, then raw is for you.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much of the joy of raw denim comes after it is broken in?

None, as far as I'm concerned. When they're done you show them off to your internet friends and start work on the next pair :p

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
I would just shell out for a nice pair like APC. At the rate your going to wear them, it'll take forever to show wear, but then again it's always nice to have a nice pair of dark unworn denim to wear.

Let's see once a week.
Most people start seeing good wear at about 4 months. 4 x 30= 120 days.
120 weeks = 2.3 yrs.

beefcake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
None, as far as I'm concerned. When they're done you show them off to your internet friends and start work on the next pair :p

HAAhaha.
lol8[1].gif
- Sad but true.
Though I must say, I've been on one pair for a long time now (since june, that's a long time for me) and I can't see myself letting them go in a long, long time. I might stretch to getting a pair to wear for dressing up etc, when I don't want wallet atari and a snus ring... but that's it, right now.

...I have to make up for the lack of carlfists in this thread real quick.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Reaction score
yeah go for the APC

you can savor the pleasure of breaking in the jeans over those two odd years

don't rush it

when you sit up on it

Wade M

Reaction score
I've been doing 6 days a week between APC's and Imperials' now for about 4 months, and both are just starting to show some basic wear. I don't do much in them (I don't do anything taxing in my jeans; which is reflected in the jeans).....

I don't really care to much about the end result. I enjoy the look, the feel, the process. The end result is not why I'm doing this. Now is why I am doing this. As much as I'd love to start another pair, it sort of becomes pointless to the process, and more about whoring labels.

--Wade

nastyandy

Reaction score

I wondered the same thing for some time because I have so many pairs of jeans that I like to wear, and I didn;t want to have to wear one pair every day.

But I bought a pair of RRLs at a steal on ebay, and I have found that I actually love the dark rigid state still without any real wear.

As they are rigid, they have taken to my form very nicely, and I thiink the rigid denim folds in all the right places on my legs. I wear them 2-3 times a week (going on my second week), and I honestly am not to concerned with when they break in, as I find that in their current raw state the color and fit is excpetionally flattering.

Additionally, fashion seems to be trending away from distressing in general, and so I think you'll be fashion forward before they break in. Far as the slim fit, I think it will be around for at least a few more years, and I think slim in general is classic if not too tapered or ultra-skinny.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are wonderful! (Especially ang.
laugh.gif
) Thank you for all the advice: hopefully I'll be picking up a pair of APC NSs at Goods in Seattle this weekend - I'll be sure to post pics at suitably wide intervals.
bigstar[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
You guys are wonderful! (Especially ang.
laugh.gif
) Thank you for all the advice: hopefully I'll be picking up a pair of APC NSs at Goods in Seattle this weekend - I'll be sure to post pics at suitably wide intervals.
bigstar[1].gif

Just remember that once you find a pair of New Standards that fits perfectly, you need to get the next size down from that. You probably already know this from lurking/searching, but they stretch like mad.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Just remember that once you find a pair of New Standards that fits perfectly, you need to get the next size down from that. You probably already know this from lurking/searching, but they stretch like mad.
Just one size? I got the impression that I should buy the tightest I can button! (Or maybe one size up from that...) I may wear them for a week or two around the house before I go out in public.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads