• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw denim at Club Monaco

Dolorosa

Reaction score
I went over to the Club Monaco at South Coast Plaza on my lunch break to check out a peacoat they had on their site and noticed some nice-looking denim. Upon closer inspection they were raw, slim fit, selvedge jeans. I didn't try any on but it made me wonder if anyone on here has any experience with CM's jeans. I've often found things I like at the store but always thought most of it overpriced. The jeans were $160 or so, so not a bad price for a pair of raw selvedge jeans ...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dolorosa
The jeans were $160 or so, so not a bad price for a pair of raw selvedge jeans ...

Because selvage=quality, right?

You realize all the other jeans you could get for that price from affiliates that would be leaps and bounds better in quality, right? Actually, quite a few of them would be cheaper than that.

$160 for mall selvage is laughable.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
iirc Club Monaco had raw selvedge jeans before too, like 2-3 years ago. they came with weird ironed in creases that could be ironed out, but were raw denim

For $160 better off getting Crates or APC for raw selvedge

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
iirc Club Monaco had raw selvedge jeans before too, like 2-3 years ago. they came with weird ironed in creases that could be ironed out, but were raw denim

I actually found a pair of half-selvage without the creases around then for $30 or something. Awful, awful denim.

Dolorosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Because selvage=quality, right?

You realize all the other jeans you could get for that price from affiliates that would be leaps and bounds better in quality, right? Actually, quite a few of them would be cheaper than that.

$160 for mall selvage is laughable.

OK, OK ... Noob mistake. But that's why I was asking if anybody knew anything about the quality ...

Dolorosa

Reaction score

I just saw a couple pair of Crates today at the Barney's Co-Op. They seemed really nice but I just bought a pair of Corpus raw jeans from there a few weeks ago.

Maybe I'll go back and look into the Crates again in a few weeks ...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
if you decide to get the Crates, the owner of the brand is an affiliate of Style Forum now. Take a look at the Secret Service thread and affiliate link

give Chad or Luke a call and you can get 25% off if you order direct from them. best to go to Barneys and try on to see what size fits then order from Crate direct

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Just take a look at where the jeans are coming from. Places like CM/Gap/J Crew are going to care as much about the quality of the denim as the person clueless enough to buy selvage from them to begin with.

+1 for getting your Crates from SS. Barney's is the only place that is selling them right now. I guess the affiliates are still waiting a bit longer to drop them.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
hmmm are you sure they were raw? I remember asking an employee there and he said they were not. Possibly an uninformed employee...

Their jeans have always fitted kinda large. I usually wear a 33 inch and i had to size down to like a 31 and sometimes a 30.

Dolorosa

Reaction score
The ones I was looking at said they were raw on a hand-written tag but I suppose you never know.

Dolorosa

Reaction score
if you decide to get the Crates, the owner of the brand is an affiliate of Style Forum now. Take a look at the Secret Service thread and affiliate link

give Chad or Luke a call and you can get 25% off if you order direct from them. best to go to Barneys and try on to see what size fits then order from Crate direct

That'll make me a lot more likely to pick up a pair. For whatever reason it's easier to justify $115 than $150. Thanks for the info!

Dolorosa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Just take a look at where the jeans are coming from. Places like CM/Gap/J Crew are going to care as much about the quality of the denim as the person clueless enough to buy selvage from them to begin with.

+1 for getting your Crates from SS. Barney's is the only place that is selling them right now. I guess the affiliates are still waiting a bit longer to drop them.

That makes sense, Who. I've just been trying to saturate my brain with as much info about this stuff as possible so every time I see a pair of jeans that looks raw it catches my eye. For $160, I would have rather bought another pair of New Standards or at least tried on the Crates I found today ...

You learn something new every day ...

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed raw denim everywhere now; not just GAP and H&M, but also J. Crew and Rugby as well as the OP's Club Monaco.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I bought them a few years back. Washed them a few times. Then they looked like ass.

For that money, I would either get APC or Naked & Famous. They're a hell of a lot better.

I always used to like Club Monaco. Especially on sale. But I've found their stuff to be of really dubious quality. I've had quite a few pieces fall apart from them. After the rear pockets split off a pair of pants after washing them, I'd much rather shop at J.Crew or H&M.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics