• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim and Tucked in Dress Shirts: Recipe for Disaster?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SW&D is rubbing off and me and I purchased my first pair of raw/dry denim and the Nudie Slim Jims arrived today. I am going to take them to the tailor to get the hems taken up, but in the meantime, I am curious if they will stain my dress shirts. I wear jeans to work a couple of days a week and always have my shirts tucked in. I am worried the waist band dye will rub off onto the shirts.

Is this true? If so, is there any way to prevent/combat the problem?

Thanks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mmm, I'd check with SW&D before doing that... if you wash them fully they'll lose starch and a some of the dye and I think you'll ruin the whole "breaking in" process. if you're not looking to break them in and fade then don't worry about it. double check though...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I have worn tucked in shirts with raw denim and never had a problem. YMMV, obviously.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't dare try, I've stained a pair of white sneakers after wearing them all day with a pair of raw denim pants.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I wouldn't dare try, I've stained a pair of white sneakers after wearing them all day with a pair of raw denim pants.

Doesn't that mean your chance of staining the shirt would be higher if you leave it untucked?

Not all raw denim bleeds equally. That, and GetSmart, Baron, and lately whodini tucks in all the time; it can't be that bad.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Doesn't that mean your chance of staining the shirt would be higher if you leave it untucked?

Not all raw denim bleeds equally. That, and GetSmart, Baron, and lately whodini tucks in all the time; it can't be that bad.

The stain was where the cuff of the jeans was rubbing the sneaks. But yeah, the raw denim experts can definitely answer this better.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I've never, ever had an article of clothing turn blue from daily wear except when the weather got bad and the denim became wet. Even then it was limited to socks and the tops of sneakers.

I really wouldn't worry much about it unless you Texans plan on hanging out with another Ike anytime soon.

sayaret

Reaction score
you won't have any problems. soak em once if you're worried

John Stevenson

Reaction score
I never found nudies to bleed very much, unless they got wet. I think you'd be fine. Just don't do it with a plain white shirt.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks guys for the tips. i want to be able to wear a white shirt with these, so perhaps a cold soak is in order.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've never had indigo bleed when mixing dry denim with a white shirt

I've heard from those that did get some bleed that the blue washed right out without leaving any visible trace

Depends on the jeans too, some just have looser indigo than others, Nudie seems to be one of the more in-set brands where the indigo doesnt easily come off unless wet

and a cold soak wont affect any future fading properties.

EdenResident

Reaction score
I have a pair of Nudie and they stained my white undershirt. I didn't soak mine, though.

I say be safe and try them with a couple throwaway white shirts first.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a pair of 5EP LDBs that I have worn with several nice dress shirts, tucked in, with no problems. That said, I have not gotten them wet and I have not done any particularly vigorous activities in them that might cause a lot of rubbing. As others have mentioned, YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads