• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ratio Oxford Shirts?

seer

Reaction score
Yes another Oxford shirt thread. Personally I'm a big fan of oxford cloth shirts. Right now Gitmans are my favorite - though BBs are nice and Bills Khakis comes out with a nice line now and again (I haven't tried Mercer&Sons yet). I only buy US made clothing (at least as much as I can). Recently I found about maker of Oxford shirts in the US:

http://www.ratioclothing.com/

I'm about to order two shirts, I was wondering if any one has tried them yet?

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried them. I really like the owner, Eric, who will work with you personally to get your shirts to fit how you want them. They can adjust much more than they show on the order form; just send them an email.

Stylistically, the button-down collar is a little shorter than I like, but it's not bad. The construction and materials are good but not exceptional. The quality control is good.

seer

Reaction score
I've tried them. I really like the owner, Eric, who will work with you personally to get your shirts to fit how you want them. They can adjust much more than they show on the order form; just send them an email.

Stylistically, the button-down collar is a little shorter than I like, but it's not bad. The construction and materials are good but not exceptional. The quality control is good.

Yes, I e-mailed Eric, he was very helpful. They look like a good American made shirt. How long did it take for you to get the shirt after you ordered?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was planning on starting a thread about this company. Seems like they are trying to do a more streamlined version of MTM and take a lot of the guesswork out of it. Curious what the buttons are made out of. All the website says is "high quality," so I assume just thick plastic ones otherwise they would have called out the material?

Might be giving them a shot soon. Have heard you can get a discount code if you "like" them on FB.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I e-mailed Eric, he was very helpful. They look like a good American made shirt. How long did it take for you to get the shirt after you ordered?

I don't remember exactly. 3-4 weeks?

I was planning on starting a thread about this company. Seems like they are trying to do a more streamlined version of MTM and take a lot of the guesswork out of it. Curious what the buttons are made out of. All the website says is "high quality," so I assume just thick plastic ones otherwise they would have called out the material?

All the buttons I have are thick, off-white plastic with a nice sheen and white backs.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How's the fit? Did you do the normal or slim?

Thanks for the info on the buttons. Think I will try one soon.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fit is customized beyond their ratio fits, and I never started with one of them, so I can't speak to that. Their templates are based on the chest measurement, and from there I tweaked the waist, seat, shoulders, and cuff opening. And that's in addition to the normal sleeve length, tail length, and collar specifications.

I've also tried Modern Tailor and Proper Cloth, and greatly prefer working with Ratio Clothing to either of them.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a good number of satisfied folks on Ask Andy. I haven't ordered, and probably won't, until there's an option for a bigger collar.

tigi

Reaction score
This sounds interesting. Are there any fit pics available?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My fit is customized beyond their ratio fits, and I never started with one of them, so I can't speak to that. Their templates are based on the chest measurement, and from there I tweaked the waist, seat, shoulders, and cuff opening. And that's in addition to the normal sleeve length, tail length, and collar specifications.

I've also tried Modern Tailor and Proper Cloth, and greatly prefer working with Ratio Clothing to either of them.

Ok, gotcha. Makes sense.

I would hope they have much better quality then Modern Tailor too.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was rather appalled by the quality of Modern Tailor, so yes! Much, much better in every way. And not merely because Modern Tailor was so bad.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've placed two orders with Ratio in the past 2-3 months. Eric has been fantastic to work with and has always been quick to respond to my emails. There are many more collar options than are shown on the web page and many fitting options. I've worked with Eric on both orders and he helped me with fit and other options. For example, I had two shirts made with the left sleeve cuff made a bit larger to accommodate a watch. There are also other options such as locker loop, sleeve placket button (or none if you prefer) and many others.

As to the quality, I've been very pleased. The points on the buttondowns are a bit more shorter than I'm used to, but I still get a collar roll when I wear a tie. With the oxford cloth shirts, you can request no lining, which, to me, feels like the older Brooks Brothers OCBDs were like years ago.

I recommend Ratio without hesitation. Made in the USA and great customer service.

seer

Reaction score
Hi Seer, may I ask you why you buy only US made clothing? Is it a quality matter??? Or it's just a matter of distance from where you live?

I do all I can to help keep American workers working. Besides the quality is great. Wolverine 1000 Mile boot, Alden shoes/boots. Allen Edmonds. Bills Khakis are the best around. Gitman shirts and now Ratio shirts. Johnson Wool, Bemidji Wool, Wickers underwear, etc... My only sin is that I love Scott Nichol socks from England. ; )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics