• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate my shirt & suit

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Hi all

I'd like some advice on this shirt and suit (note that the first few shirt pics are with a different pair of pants)

I have two more suits (Hong Kong quick jobs) in the same exact cut, one black with an orange/rust pinstripe and one in a darkish-green brown solid colour. The one in the pictures is black with a very discreet greenish-brown pin stripe.

Never mind the combination of suit/shirt/tie, it's just what I had at hand.

I am considering buying 1-2 more suits (I was thinking about a middle brown corduroy which should be nice in the norwegian fall/winter, and a blue woolen suit) as well as 1 or 2 club blazers / sports jackets. Any suggestions on the design?

The pictures are not very good, the camera stinks.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I see plenty of worse suits and shirts every day, so the fact that I'm raising negative points will hopefully be construed as constructive.
The entire outfit has an unfortunate "bunching" effect around the middle that makes you look heavier than you really are. I think a more tailored or fitted shirt (such as the "slim fit" shirts some shirtmakers sell) would be more flattering - there's too much excess material just pooling up around your belly area. Based on the pictures with your arms bent, you probably should have longer shirt sleeves as well.
I don't like how the suit is tailored for you, either. I'm no expert, but I think the waist needs to be a bit wider, so it does make it look like your hips curve out so dramatically. The fit of the jacket also seems off - you might need the chest a bit broader, and the "rippling" effect in the coat arms in the photograph from the rear looks wrong. I think your jacket sleeves also could be just a touch shorter, but that's a minor quibble.

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
...the "rippling" effect in the coat arms in the photograph from the rear looks wrong. I think your jacket sleeves also could be just a touch shorter, but that's a minor quibble.

I think the rippling of the jacket on that picture is just a consequence of me trying desperately to pull some cuff out of the sleeves.

Thanks a lot for the other comment. These suits (and shirts) still fit eons better than any OTR stuff fits (and MTM is not an option in Norway), so for the shirts I guess I will try and see if I can adjust them with some pins/needles and give the tailor some new measurements.

I am less confident about adjusting the measurements of the jacket, but I think I am willing to give it a try.

The trousers (pants) by the way are also much better than any formal pants I have managed to buy in a store, even though I think I will go for a slimmer / more tapered fit next time.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyerdad has said almost everything that could be said. An additional observation is that wider pants legs would help. P.S. The tie is a bit short.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm loving the face mask. Is that Dior?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyskJohan
I think the rippling of the jacket on that picture is just a consequence of me trying desperately to pull some cuff out of the sleeves.

Thanks a lot for the other comment. These suits (and shirts) still fit eons better than any OTR stuff fits (and MTM is not an option in Norway), so for the shirts I guess I will try and see if I can adjust them with some pins/needles and give the tailor some new measurements.

I am less confident about adjusting the measurements of the jacket, but I think I am willing to give it a try.

The trousers (pants) by the way are also much better than any formal pants I have managed to buy in a store, even though I think I will go for a slimmer / more tapered fit next time.

Do try having at least one of your shirts tailored more narrowly in the waist area. I think you will be much happier with how it makes you look. If I'm wrong, the cost of having once shirt taken in is pretty minimal. If you like it, you can decide if it's worth it to do with your other shirts.

Also, I can't really tell from the picture, but looking a second time it looks like maybe you're wearing your pants a bit low. It looks like your beltline is might be sitting down around mid-hip, where jeans normally would sit, instead of up around your true waist. If I'm right, having your pants sit a bit higher might also reduce the shirt-pooling effect where the shirt tucks into the pants (that might also address imageconsultant's tie length comment, too).

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Do try having at least one of your shirts tailored more narrowly in the waist area. I think you will be much happier with how it makes you look. If I'm wrong, the cost of having once shirt taken in is pretty minimal. If you like it, you can decide if it's worth it to do with your other shirts.

I will try to take them in with some pins and see what happens. I quite like the feel of the lose fit, but I agree the shirts could look better. I always thought this was just a problem with how I tuck in my shirts, but the tucking always comes undone.

Also, I can't really tell from the picture, but looking a second time it looks like maybe you're wearing your pants a bit low. It looks like your beltline is might be sitting down around mid-hip, where jeans normally would sit, instead of up around your true waist. If I'm right, having your pants sit a bit higher might also reduce the shirt-pooling effect where the shirt tucks into the pants (that might also address imageconsultant's tie length comment, too).

Actually, the pant fit is low intentionally; I like to have them like this because they don't move as much when I sit down and stand up repeatedly. But I hadn't thought of the possibility that this just means that my shirt becomes untucked. Great suggestion, I'll think about that!

There was also a suggestion about getting wider pants. Personally, I think the suit pants (in the later pictures) are a little wide already, but I think that again I might have prioritised feel over look here.

So, any suggestions on design and fabric of another suit or jacket? Can I do DB or will I look even wider? My general feel is that I have a good body shape if it weren't for a little belly
confused.gif

TyskJohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
P.S. The tie is a bit short.

Any ideas for online sources of quality ties that are longer than the ones you get at Tie Rack etc.? Even with a four-in-hand, I struggle to make my ties look nice (I manage to tie them at correct lenght, but the knot will usually be very small because it is made out of a very narrow portion of the tie). No way of doing a windsor, ever (I only do Windsor when I wear a vest/3-piece and I hide the end of the tie inside the vest in shame inside).

Yeah, the one in the picture was a quick fix, but the tie lenght wasn't what I was looking for feedback on.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the pants were higher, the legs would look longer, and the legs already look long (with the jacket off). Presuming you're tall, you probably could look good in a DB suit, but would it be situationally appropriate? Would a patterned suit be situationally appropriate? From the pictures, no normal colors and styles seem wrong. You really haven't provided enough information to fully answer your questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads