• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate my morning suit outfit

Tibo

Reaction score
Here is what I was wearing at the wedding of one of my best friends last Saturday, I'd be happy to hear your comments regarding fit and al.

incognito6an.jpg

Outfit consisting of:

- My morning suit, acquired at a local store and of a totally unknown (German) brand (pants and jacket - pants have been retailored to be a little fitter than in the origin)
- Favourbrook waistcoat with notch lapels, in a superb pale yellow/buff silk, with a 'tapestry' pattern
- H&K white shirt with French cuffs and semi-cutaway collar
- Red Hermes tie with yellow birds
- Church's Chetwynd on the 88 last

Disclaimer: I'm not wearing a pocket square because I was due to wearing a boutonnière a couple of minutes later ...

cuffthis

Reaction score
GREAT RUG!!!!!! Oriental, that is.

Not a fan of the shoes with this outfit. Classic, but not appropriate with the rest of the clothes, IMHO.

Tyto

Reaction score
Great rug *and* great armoire.

I love that folks still wear morning coats. Wanted 'em for my wedding party, but couldn't find them inexpensively enough to do it.

I'm with cuffthis on the shoes--much as I love wingtips and find any excuse to wear them, they aren't formal enough for a morning coat. Also, the pockets on the coat seem a little large. Lastly, I'm pro-dimple for FIH ties, but whatever.

In any case, well done--you look very stately.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another more color co-ordinated tie (perhaps plain, tiny pattern, or without pattern) with a visible dimple would be a good beginning. The coat itself appears to need some fitting attention in the collar/shoulder, chest, and waist areas to provide cleaner lines and eliminate the button pull. With the coat properly fitted, your posture/attitude would not cause such visible faults. Some simple and function-appropriate shoes or pumps would be a good conclusion. Otherwise, congratulations on keeping the morning dress tradition alive.

Originally Posted by Tyto
Also, the pockets on the coat seem a little large.

I believe the coat has no hip pockets visible on the front. It's likely you are noticing the horizontal seam that joins the upper body to the coat's lower body and tail. Light and shadow make the seam appear to be a pocket.

Tibo

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments; a couple of explanations/thoughts about your suggestions

- I know that wingtips aren't the most formal shoes, and as such the most appropriate for morning suits, but I have had plenty of occasions to wear my morning suit with Oxfords and wanted to try something a bit different, but at the same time more than formal enough. I wouldn't stick to it all the time (at my wedding, I wore Oxfords, for instance), but I still think it looks good enough (specially if you compare to the crowd of poorly-shooed people)
- The FIH knot without a dimple is a personal choice, specially for Hermes ties (which I know aren't much praised on ths forum). As far as the red tie is concerned, thank the bride, who asked me to wear one.
- Regarding the fitting of the morning coat itself: 1) there are no pockets and as such they can't be too large and 2) I consider that the 'poor fitting' is rather acceptable for a RTW morning coat, and am well aware that I could have much better in bespoke. But there are many bespoke items I'll buy before a bespoke morning coat.

Cheers

Tibo

NB: the morning suit tradition is well alive in Belgium. In my opinion, it must be the country where it is most worn, second only to the UK for that matter.

EDIT/ here's a picture of my wedding day, which ironically enough seems to adress a lot of the concerns mentioned here, that is plain oxfords and a more subtly-coordinated tie. Still no dimple, though ;-)

pro1nz.jpg

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo

EDIT/ here's a picture of my wedding day, which ironically enough seems to adress a lot of the concerns mentioned here, that is plain oxfords and a more subtly-coordinated tie. Still no dimple, though ;-)

I must say, I think the 2nd picture looks much more put-together. I like the shoes better, and the tie works well IMO. However, if the bride wants the red tie . . . .

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your wedding picture is great. Way to keep an elegant tradition alive!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I must say I quite like the outfit. I would agree that the shoes do seems a bit misplaced. Overall though I think it works.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think I need myself a second hand morning suit. Looking good, Tibo, only thing I'd do is have a dimple and have plainer (= more formal) shoes.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, are you in the Witness Protection Program or something? ;o)

Great outfit! The only quibble is that with the aristocratic look I might have gone with a Full or Half-Windsor...looks like it would have fit well into the collar.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
You look nice. Do you have any up close pictures of the red tie with birds?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you asked, I personally would prefer a shorter DB waistcoat in a cooler shade like pearl gray. This SB could lose the lapels. The peak lapels of the morning coat look a bit skimpy. Still it's nice to see them being worn.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Some simple and function-appropriate shoes or pumps would be a good conclusion. Otherwise, congratulations on keeping the morning dress tradition alive.

"Pumps"????!!! I had never heard that they were appropriate with morning dress. That's a new one on me!
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads