Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Rate my fantasy football team

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by DBoon, Aug 31, 2008.

1. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I think Avant is going to get a lot of looks this year. Philly is going to pass 60% of the time as usual, and Avant seems to be building a nice repor w McNabb as a safety valve-type wideout. I think. [​IMG]

I just kinda liked what I saw from Maclin in the preseason. I drafted him just because. I am thinking about dropping him in the SF league for the moment though. Got my eye on someone.

Too many weapons in the offense though to get any consistent production out of avant. Curtis was McNabbs favorite weapon 2 years ago, desean jackson was his favorite last year, brent celek is poised for a breakout year, westbrook steals lots of passes, etc.

2. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

Two teams drafted this weekend in leagues with friends. First is the 12 team money league:

QB – Matt Cassell
    RB- Kevin Smith
    RB – Marshawn Lynch
    WR – Andre Johnson
    WR – Randy Moss
    WR – Roy Williams
    TE – Chris Cooley
    D/ST – Miami
    K – Josh Brown

BN - Derrick Ward
    BN – Ahmad Bradshaw
    BN – Brett Favre
    BN - Nate Burleson
    BN – Kevin Curtis
    BN – Michael Crabtree
    BN – Bo Scaife
    BN – Glen Coffee
    BN – Dolphins D/ST

QB can be an issue and not much WR depth behind a great starting 3.

This is a ten team league with friends:

QB- Jay Cutler
    RB – Adrian Peterson
    RB – Pierre Thomas
    RB/WR – Dwayne Bowe
    WR – Calvin Johnson
    WR – Steve Smith
    TE – Zach Miller (I’m expecting big things here)
    D/ST – Eagles
    K – Josh Brown

BN – Derrick Ward
    BN – Roy Williams
    BN – Eddie Royal
    BN – Santonio Holmes
    BN – Carson Palmer
    BN – LeSean McCoy
    BN – Sammy Morris

QB can be an issue as well, but I am pretty high on both qbs this year. RB depth could become an isse but WR depth is unreal.

3. ClaretandBlue

ClaretandBlue Senior member

Alright, I'm posting this because I consistently suck at FF and have no idea about anything football oriented, I just like participating. Comments, and suggestions appreciated..

(12 person league)

QB Drew Brees
    WR Anquan Boldin
    WR Hines Ward
    WR Santonio Holmes
    RB Pierre Thomas
    RB Cedric Benson
    TE Kellen Winslow
    K Neil Rackers
    DEF San Diego

--Bench
    RB Edgerrin James
    RB Jamal Lewis
    WR Derrick Mason
    WR Josh Morgan
    TE John Carlson
    QB Shaun Hill

4. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior member

bumping this to get comments on my team - 6 pts per TD, non-PPR, a G and work bragging rights at stake.

picked fourth overall:

QB - Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer
    RB (start 2) - Matt Forte, Ronnie Brown, Larry Johnson, Ricky Williams, Shonn Greene
    WR (start 2 and a RB/WR flex) - Steve Smith (CAR), Roy Williams (DAL), Chris Chambers, Percy Harvin, Domenik Hixon
    TE - Chris Cooley
    DST - Buccaneers
    K - Lawrence Tynes

any comments welcome [​IMG]

How many teams? My advice will make more sense with fewer teams - there will be more talent lying around for you to pick up. Feel free to ignore any advice, it's your team.

Ronnie Brown is overrated IMO. Other than that 5-TD game he had his stats were pretty average, and I don't see him doing as well this year. I'd trade him off for a WR - besides Forte and Smith, you've got Johnson, both Williams, Harvin, Chambers and Hixon competing for 3 spots. It's not the greatest selection you could have.

You're pretty solid at QB with McNabb, but if you can get value for Palmer trade him. This is of course dependent on what QBs are riding the waiver wire - if you see someone better, pull the trigger.

TE is good, Cooley is a very good second tier guy. TE is a deep position this year. D and K i'm pretty indifferent about in general.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Too many weapons in the offense though to get any consistent production out of avant. Curtis was McNabbs favorite weapon 2 years ago, desean jackson was his favorite last year, brent celek is poised for a breakout year, westbrook steals lots of passes, etc.

Which is why he's like WR number five. Gonna spot start him on bye weeks and maybe when I think Philly is playing a team with elite corners who are going to take Jackson and Curtis and leave Avant matched up on a safety all day. [​IMG]

I *hope* I won't be counting on him for consistent production.

6. RCG Tiburon

Two teams drafted this weekend in leagues with friends. First is the 12 team money league: QB – Matt Cassell RB- Kevin Smith RB – Marshawn Lynch WR – Andre Johnson WR – Randy Moss WR – Roy Williams TE – Chris Cooley D/ST – Miami K – Josh Brown BN - Derrick Ward BN – Ahmad Bradshaw BN – Brett Favre BN - Nate Burleson BN – Kevin Curtis BN – Michael Crabtree BN – Bo Scaife BN – Glen Coffee BN – Dolphins D/ST QB can be an issue and not much WR depth behind a great starting 3. This is a ten team league with friends: QB- Jay Cutler RB – Adrian Peterson RB – Pierre Thomas RB/WR – Dwayne Bowe WR – Calvin Johnson WR – Steve Smith TE – Zach Miller (I’m expecting big things here) D/ST – Eagles K – Josh Brown BN – Derrick Ward BN – Roy Williams BN – Eddie Royal BN – Santonio Holmes BN – Carson Palmer BN – LeSean McCoy BN – Sammy Morris QB can be an issue as well, but I am pretty high on both qbs this year. RB depth could become an isse but WR depth is unreal.
    I am not at all high on Cutler or Cassell this year. I am pretty high on Schaub, Flacco, and Hill. I think QB may be a problem on both teams. Trade some of that WR depth for a better one. Depth doesn't mean much when they're all sitting on the bench. Expecting big things out of a TE is very relative. If his name isn't Gonzalez, Clark, Witten or Gates, you'll get decent production but not great. Miller is not a bad pick at all though. I would not keep a backup TE this year. You'll easily be able to find talent come bye week.

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

How many teams? My advice will make more sense with fewer teams - there will be more talent lying around for you to pick up. Feel free to ignore any advice, it's your team. Ronnie Brown is overrated IMO. Other than that 5-TD game he had his stats were pretty average, and I don't see him doing as well this year. I'd trade him off for a WR - besides Forte and Smith, you've got Johnson, both Williams, Harvin, Chambers and Hixon competing for 3 spots. It's not the greatest selection you could have. You're pretty solid at QB with McNabb, but if you can get value for Palmer trade him. This is of course dependent on what QBs are riding the waiver wire - if you see someone better, pull the trigger. TE is good, Cooley is a very good second tier guy. TE is a deep position this year. D and K i'm pretty indifferent about in general.
    thanks for your comments. it's a 12-teamer. i forgot to put that information. i do need insurance for McNabb - he always seems to go down at the worst moment, but agree that Palmer might be too much value riding the bench. i might give it a couple weeks to see what happens (it's not out of the question IMO to see him outperform McNabb this year) you read my mind on getting another stud WR. with the exception of Forte, i'd gladly trade any of my other guys for a solid WR2. i won't get Larry Fitzgerald, but maybe Ronnie Brown can net me someone at the Greg Jennings/Reggie Wayne level? [​IMG]

8. RCG Tiburon

thanks for your comments. it's a 12-teamer. i forgot to put that information. i do need insurance for McNabb - he always seems to go down at the worst moment, but agree that Palmer might be too much value riding the bench. i might give it a couple weeks to see what happens (it's not out of the question IMO to see him outperform McNabb this year) you read my mind on getting another stud WR. with the exception of Forte, i'd gladly trade any of my other guys for a solid WR2. i won't get Larry Fitzgerald, but maybe Ronnie Brown can net me someone at the Greg Jennings/Reggie Wayne level? [​IMG]
    Greg Jennings and Reggie Wayne are both really good IMO, not sure if you can snag em but if someone is willing to make that trade grab it. The really elite receivers this year are Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Moss (b/c of Brady), Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Jennings, Wayne and Anquan Boldin. If you can get another one of those guys then you can have Roy Williams as a solid flex. EDIT:
    Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith, Roddy White, Anquan Boldin. That's it. That's the list. I'd add Randy Moss in there now that Tom Brady is back and Reggie Wayne should be there. But that's it. I can hear what you're thinking. "OK, Sparky, I get it, I need to draft one of them early to make sure I get one." (Note: I am assuming you think my name is Sparky.) And yes, I think it's vitally important to get an elite No. 1 wideout in the first three rounds. In fact, I'll just say this here and now: You need at least one running back and one wide receiver in the first three rounds. If you want to add a quarterback or a second running back or wide receiver to those two, that will depend on your scoring system and who is available to you when you draft. But just know that there is a very finite number of elite wide receivers this year. Let's put it another way. If you just look at running backs and wide receivers, only 10 of the top 30 scorers last year were wideouts. Now remember, we play with at least two, with the option of adding a third in an ESPN standard league. And I want to add this important caveat. If you don't wind up with one of what I am calling "The TMR Nine" then ... wait. They are all the same after that. Some have more upside than others, but seriously, the difference between No. 8 on the list of wide receiver scoring leaders from last year (Antonio Bryant, 157 points) and No. 30 (DeSean Jackson, 110 points) works out to fewer than three points a game. So if everyone in a 10-team league started three receivers every week, outside of the elite, you're basically getting a three-point advantage starting the best non-elite guy over the guy that's barely better than waiver-wire fodder. Yup, there's a lot of the same after the top receivers. But because of all the committees, there are more chances of finding a breakout running back later in your draft than a wide receiver that becomes special. Think about where Forte, Turner, Williams, Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton went in your draft last season.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...K2K9_Manifesto

9. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I am not at all high on Cutler or Cassell this year. I am pretty high on Schaub, Flacco, and Hill. I think QB may be a problem on both teams. Trade some of that WR depth for a better one. Depth doesn't mean much when they're all sitting on the bench.

Expecting big things out of a TE is very relative. If his name isn't Gonzalez, Clark, Witten or Gates, you'll get decent production but not great. Miller is not a bad pick at all though.

I would not keep a backup TE this year. You'll easily be able to find talent come bye week.

Thanks for the comments. I traditionally pick QB around Round 8 every year as I have a knack for picking a top 5 qb around round 8 or later. Last year it was Rodgers. Before that Roethlisberger, Brady, and Palmer. I don't have that feeling this year with Cassell though and agree that QB may be a problem and I'll be looking to upgrade there. The big things out of Miller comment was something I forgot to delete as I copied it over from an email to a friend who is a big Raiders fan.

10. RCG Tiburon

Thanks for the comments. I traditionally pick QB around Round 8 every year as I have a knack for picking a top 5 qb around round 8 or later. Last year it was Rodgers. Before that Roethlisberger, Brady, and Palmer.

[​IMG]

I want to play in your league.

11. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

[​IMG]

I want to play in your league.

Maybe I should clarify a bit, Rodgers was '08, Roethlisberger '07, Brady '06, and Palmer '05. It's actually a really competitive league each year as we've had the same people in the league for a few years now. Very few boneheaded picks with nothing really standing out from this years draft. Last year a guy took the Bears D in the fourth round which we all made fun of him for. He had the last laugh though as the Michael Turner pick he made a few rounds later sure paid dividends.

12. phreak

phreak Senior member

yea nabbing a QB in the early rnds is not very good imo. besides bradys 50 and peytons 49, the top ten QB's are generally seperated by 8-12%. there is a massive rnd defference though.

ill try and use my recent draft as an example (10 team 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 1k, 1DEF and 6 benches)

these are in order...forte, reggie wayne, steve smith, ronnie brown, tony g, santonio, royal, mcnabb, dallas, benson, sd

substitute mcnabb for rivers/romo/warner and steve smith for whomever you want to draft in rd8...the math just doesnt make sense for a qb that early

*edit* who to start, Mcnabb vs Carolina or Hasselbeck vs Stl in w1

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Need help on a trade.

Wasn't able to attend the draft...

WR Larry Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Tedd Ginn, Hakeem Nicks hopefully on waivers

RB- DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber, Kevin Smith, A. Bradshaw, R. Mendenhall

Limburger starts here; Flacco and Sanchez for QBs

it's a flex any way you want it money league, which I haven't played before. But my assumption would be that 2 qbs would be best.

I'm being offered TO and Favre for Fitz and Anthony Fasano. Cooley is my primary tight end.

14. RCG Tiburon

yea nabbing a QB in the early rnds is not very good imo. besides bradys 50 and peytons 49, the top ten QB's are generally seperated by 8-12%. there is a massive rnd defference though. ill try and use my recent draft as an example (10 team 1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 1k, 1DEF and 6 benches) these are in order...forte, reggie wayne, steve smith, ronnie brown, tony g, santonio, royal, mcnabb, dallas, benson, sd substitute mcnabb for rivers/romo/warner and steve smith for whomever you want to draft in rd8...the math just doesnt make sense for a qb that early
    Just like anything else, you have tiers... this year you have TB, Peyton, Warner and Brees at the top, 10 or so second tier guys, and everyone else. Rivers, Romo, McNabb are all second tier IMO. Of course there is ranking within that as well.
    Need help on a trade. Wasn't able to attend the draft... WR Larry Fitzgerald, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Tedd Ginn, Hakeem Nicks hopefully on waivers RB- DeAngelo Williams, Marion Barber, Kevin Smith, A. Bradshaw, R. Mendenhall Limburger starts here; Flacco and Sanchez for QBs it's a flex any way you want it money league, which I haven't played before. But my assumption would be that 2 qbs would be best. I'm being offered TO and Favre for Fitz and Anthony Fasano. Cooley is my primary tight end.
    You're giving up a serviceable TE and a stud receiver for two guys who are up there in age and aren't reliable production. TO could be good, or he could be mediocre; same with Favre. I wouldn't do it, but I'd still look to move Fasano, preferably packaged with an RB for a high 2nd-tier QB. Remember: TE is deep this year, a backup TE is a waste of a roster spot IMO. edit: didn't see the "any-way-you-want-it" part. That's really screwy. Either way a TE like Fasano is serviceable for a TE; overall TE isn't a very high-scoring position. You still don't need 2. Not sure about the trade, but my instinct is no.

15. phreak

phreak Senior member

yea...the point i was trying to make is that you are giving up a greater % change in the WR category than in the QB. my chart has peyton as the #1 qb getting 320points (4per passing td, 1 per 25 yds, 1per 10 rushing, 6per rush TD), and the #8 qb getting 80% of peytons total.

whereas, the best available WR where you would take a top tier qb, with the adp in the mid-second round, would be andre johnson. i have him pinned at 230points. in the 8th round, the best receiver would be someone like holt, berrian, walter. these players only get 40-60% of what AJ is expected.

opportunity cost is a btch when you get a QB that early