• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate and review this suit - worth tailoring?

What should I do with this suit?

• Ditch it, so poor quality it's not worth altering

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Keep it, spend the money getting it tailored

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PinkestFlamingo

Reaction score
I bought this Baumler suit in a fire sale many years ago and it has seen little use since I moved towards MTM suits.

I don't whether to keep it or bin it. It will need some fairly extensive and expensive alterations to be wearable but I am concerned about the quality of the construction. The fabric is throwing me as it is very thin and I can't make up my mind if it is of good enough quality.

If I can have your views on whether I should spend money getting this altered or just get rid then that would be great. Pictures below:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take it to a men's shelter/etc. and donate it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like a black/stripe. If it will cost a lot to alter, just donate. It will never look MTM.

PinkestFlamingo

Reaction score
It's blue/grey, just in poor lighting - black and it would have gone long ago... I'm concerned that there seems to be a few weird wrinkles in the fabric where it should lie flat, it reminds me of those ripples you get where a suit has been fused.

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
It's rather simple. If you like the suit you should have it altered, if you don't, donate it. I don't know what quality your made to measure suits are so I have no idea what kind of quality you're used to, therefore I can't decide for you what to do with it purely based on quality.

PinkestFlamingo

Reaction score
It's rather simple. If you like the suit you should have it altered, if you don't, donate it. I don't know what quality your made to measure suits are so I have no idea what kind of quality you're used to, therefore I can't decide for you what to do with it purely based on quality.

An objective assessment of quality is fine.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pinkest, I would respectfully suggest you wave goodbye to this suit, save the money you would have spent on tailoring and invest ultimately on something else.

On another note you may want to donate it somewhere or indeed donate it to one of your fellow SF members :smarmy:

Ragged Trousered Philanthopists

You may well find something there that could replace it, LMK :)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Pinkest, I would respectfully suggest you wave goodbye to this suit,[COLOR=FF00AA] save the money you would have spent on tailoring and invest ultimately on something else.[/COLOR]

This ^^.
Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze!

But don't just dump it. Donate it to a shelter or to someone who can use it. I do it all the time and I am glad to.

Last edited:

PinkestFlamingo

Reaction score
Trying it on again this evening I have to agree with the rest of you.

I didn't get any suggestions about why the fabric might be gathering in the weird way that it is; but even if that's not a quality issue I can tell that I'd be spending at least £150-200 on alterations to get things right.

That's a heroic thread Cleav. I'm not sure this one's up to SF standards but I will definitely put it up on there if I don't have a mate who wants it.

emidyl

Reaction score
your initial post suggests you already have the answer...

You don't wear it often anymore, why? just because it isn't MTM? Are you suggesting you once wore it quite often prior to MTM?
If you loved it you'd wear it, or at the very least looked into alterations sooner than now.
You question the quality of fabric. Meh, move on and donate so someone else can enjoy it.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Trying it on again this evening I have to agree with the rest of you.

I didn't get any suggestions about why the fabric might be gathering in the weird way that it is; but even if that's not a quality issue I can tell that I'd be spending at least £150-200 on alterations to get things right.

That's a heroic thread Cleav. I'm not sure this one's up to SF standards but I will definitely put it up on there if I don't have a mate who wants it.

Thanks Pinkest

Good decision :nodding:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics