• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ranting: nice clothes and overweight people..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
How many calories are in these 'genetics' you consume?

32870_1216070582229_450_300.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am shorter and I have a larger head than 99 percent of adult men. Should I just crawl into a hole and give up?

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
somebody needs to tell them it's not working.
Compare to what? A fat boy in a $2,000, tailored suit is as bad as the fat boy in a $120 suit? Come on. It's true this forum is where people and things are visually judged, but people come in different shapes. What's a fat dude gotta do? Lose weight?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenc
What's a fat dude gotta do? Lose weight?

To put it bluntly, yes.

I have virtually no sympathy for fat people. I'm sorry, but genetics are not the be-all, end-all of your personal destiny. I say this as a former fat kid who, through a shitload of effort and willpower, became super skinny and then eventually bulked up (with muscle) from the lankiness. I have downright terrible genetics. My dad is a fatass, as was his dad before him. But I refuse to make genetics an excuse. I have to work twice as hard as your average fit guy to be fit, and though it sucks, I've accepted it.

Count me in as one more vote for the "buy fewer clothes and get a gym membership" side of the debate. Words can't describe how much better you look with a good body than with a good tailor alone.

None of this "it's glandular!" bullshit, either. For 99% of the folks out there, that's an incredibly lame excuse. Bad genetics, bad metabolisms, and bad hard-wired eating habits can be overcome. You might have been dealt a bad hand, but that's no excuse for losing.

chenc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
To put it bluntly, yes. I have virtually no sympathy for fat people. I'm sorry, but genetics are not the be-all, end-all of your personal destiny. I say this as a former fat kid who, through a shitload of effort and willpower, became super skinny and then eventually bulked up (with muscle) from the lankiness. I have downright terrible genetics. My dad is a fatass, as was his dad before him. But I refuse to make genetics an excuse. I have to work twice as hard as your average fit guy to be fit, and though it sucks, I've accepted it. Count me in as one more vote for the "buy fewer clothes and get a gym membership" side of the debate. Words can't describe how much better you look with a good body than with a good tailor alone. None of this "it's glandular!" bullshit, either. For 99% of the folks out there, that's an incredibly lame excuse. Bad genetics, bad metabolisms, and bad hard-wired eating habits can be overcome. You might have been dealt a bad hand, but that's no excuse for losing.
I just don't think people shouldn't have to apologize for their weight. But you people speak of it as a sin.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenc
I just don't think people shouldn't have to apologize for their weight. But you people speak of it as a sin.

I don't think people should have to apologize for their weight, but at the same time, people shouldn't use weight as an excuse for anything.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
You arrogant Bastard!

wink.gif

Biscione

Reaction score
I've always believed that being in good shape, having a good haircut, etc. went hand-in-hand with dressing well. It's all a question of looking the best one can with their body.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I am shorter and I have a larger head than 99 percent of adult men. Should I just crawl into a hole and give up?
Let's face it, you wouldn't cop half the **** you do if you didn't have the traits you mentioned.

Still though, you've played the hand you've been dealt well, and I quite enjoy many of the photos you've posted.

I suppose the difference the OP is pointing out is that to a certain degree, overweight people don't have to be overweight. You don't get much say wrt height/head size, overweight people (more often than not) have the potential for complete control over their weight, if they wanted to.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
My dad is a fatass, as was his dad before him.

Sadly, seems you lost more than just weight....

Regards.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
any presence of ***** tissue is easily detected as a result.

its slightly like polishing a turd - at the end, well you know the rest.

maybe invest that grand in some personal training and yourself? Is that a wrong way to think?

Dear me this is very harsh thinking!!

I say live and let live Flambeur!

clintonf

Reaction score
I don't usually get involved in these types of threads, but after reading this, I feel compelled to provide some sort of response.

The notion of fitness does come from the genetic, "Gatherer/Hunter" where men had to catch and kill their food. This naturally meant that men tended to be fit (or at least run fast).

There were no shops that provided "nice" tasting food (which contained partially addictive substances) or where food manufacturers would not (until quite recently) reveal the contents of what they put in the food.

There also wasn't so many sedentary jobs where people do not have to move around whilst spending one third of their day in the same or similar positions.

There also wasn't cars that allowed people to transport themselves around (often as a necessity to get to work). Even to go 5 mins down the road.

This is the "modern" lifestyle that exists for many of us today.

Sure, there are some people have a very negative relationship with food (overeating and undereating), but just because someone is overweight, you shouldn't just look to assume that all they do is eat.

I am classed as overweight (I'm soon 44), yet until my 30 birthday, I was particularly underweight. My lifestyle was changed as I started working as an software developer and spending more an more time in front of a computer. This was compounded by having to travel long distances to work (my current job is a daily 80 mile round trip, the job before was 180 miles)

However, I really do not need (or find particularly of value) someone to point out that I do not look good in clothes.

I believe ANYONE who makes an effort to make their clothes look good on them will be aware of how they could possibly look better.

The questions that I have for people who share this "fatties are simply fat" perspective are:

1) How do you define overweight? In the UK, we use the Body Mass Index (BMI). In that chart, I'm classed as obese, but yet I would defy anyone that met me to be aware of this fact (ie. I don't look obese).

2) Beauty is only a perception that has been "dictated" to most of us. Especially, in so, called "Western" Countries, the idea of beauty is completely different to that of other Countries and Cultures. Who's right?

I'm not having a go at anyone. However, I cannot and will not allow someone to look down their noses at me and make broad brush statements (without qualification) about me without knowing specifics of a person's lifestyle.

I shall now get back to my super, massive, big breakfast, until I can roll out of bed and sit in front of the couch.

Clint

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Genetics are unfortunately playing a part to start with ...Some people are naturally skinny and others have a tendency to put weight on and that's when self-esteem and discipline are kicking in..
As a child ,we're all dependent on the education model given by our parents ..
Some parents are unfortunately over-feeding their kids most of the time to compensate their own psychological problems..

It is quite common for obese people to over-feed their children because of bad culinary habits and also a need to mirroring their parents inside their own families..
Adults have the choice...

If you're small ,you do know quickly that you will have to live with it and you can build a social mask to cope with it...Some people are using self-loathing as a coping mechanism to help them to cope with bullying..
The same thing applies to race ,gender an nationalities...

Being fat is perceived as being a problem a person can address with discipline and a lot of courage..
As usual ,there are no easy answers to a complex problem ..
On a sartorial note ,skinny people do look better than fat people ,just take a look at any runways and these awful coat hangers..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads