Ranting: nice clothes and overweight people..

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flambeur, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

So I know I might get flamed for this, but here it goes anyway.

Every time I see a picture of an overweight guy wearing a really nice suit or whatever, I just can't help but think "that would look so much better if he weighed 20, 30, 50 pounds less". I think this becomes even more evident here on SF where clothes more often actually fit close to the body, so your shape is even more evident, and any presence of fatty tissue is easily detected as a result.

I mean seriously, face it. No designer, tailor, or magician is EVER going to hide the fact that you are fat and out of shape. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. Yes, some can look better with the right fit and type of clothing and so on. Yes, some choices matter. But at the end, its slightly like polishing a turd - at the end, well you know the rest.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be mean. I really am not. But next time, instead of ordering, wait, i mean commissioning a new blazer, maybe invest that grand in some personal training and yourself? Is that a wrong way to think?

2. robin

robin Senior member

Says Rick Owens.

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Says Rick Owens.

I pretty much agree with that.

You don't have to be pumping iron daily, but you have to be in shape. I also kind of think that's a part of being a man, but that's a whole different thread.

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

genetics are also at play..

not that I am a perfect specimen (FUK my sloped shoulders are a tailors nightmare), but I have not done any physical training in 12 months & I am 40 in 2 weeks.. & it the fact that I have not trained but concentrated on eating right but smoking cigars & drinking whiskey that I have found my natural body size!

5. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

It is much easier to order nice clothing than working on having a nice body. People like to take the easy way out.

6. mc25

mc25 Senior member

I am 40 in 2 weeks..

Happy early birthday[​IMG]

I have the opposite effect, my shoulders are very squared, i wish i had a little more sloped shoulders. The only thing I think I can do is keep on working my shoulders to build up my delts, the shoulders will still be squared but more greatly defined.
    On the subject of weight, that can be genetic as well. I cant wait until I lose some more fat mass and put on some more muscle mass. I have already lost approx 15 lbs in fat, and replaced it with 10 lbs of muscle (approx: I weighed 180 fatter, and now am at 175, but have lost a lot of fat and can lift a lot more)

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

It is much easier to order nice clothing than working on having a nice body. People like to take the easy way out.

somebody needs to tell them it's not working.

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Well no shit flambeur...

9. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Fat people, please be skinny. Is that a wrong way to think?

It's not thinking, now is it? It's more feeling, really. Nothing wrong with feeling that way, I suppose, though short of being king for a day you're not going to have much success doing anything about it. Probably best to keep it to yourself. Better to try to understand how other people think rather than telling them how to think.

Fat people, you're fat.

Have to think they're aware of this.

10. Composer_1777

Composer_1777 Senior member

What if these people are in shape and run a mile a day, you have no clue.

11. dv3

dv3 Senior member

Why be specific? Overweight people would look better at anything they did if the were a lot thinner.

12. dv3

dv3 Senior member

accidental double post...

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

What if these people are in shape and run a mile a day, you have no clue.
    So your assumption is that you're in shape if you run a mile every day AND that I am assuming that those who I say are overweight aren't and can't?

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Why are you so interested in other men's bodies?

I personally prefer the look of someone who has 20 extra pounds to the look of an average gym meathead. The pumped up dudes in suits are especially horrendous.

15. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

So I know I might get flamed for this, but here it goes anyway.

Every time I see a picture of an overweight guy wearing a really nice suit or whatever, I just can't help but think "that would look so much better if he weighed 20, 30, 50 pounds less". I think this becomes even more evident here on SF where clothes more often actually fit close to the body, so your shape is even more evident, and any presence of fatty tissue is easily detected as a result.

I mean seriously, face it. No designer, tailor, or magician is EVER going to hide the fact that you are fat and out of shape. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. Yes, some can look better with the right fit and type of clothing and so on. Yes, some choices matter. But at the end, its slightly like polishing a turd - at the end, well you know the rest.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be mean. I really am not. But next time, instead of ordering, wait, i mean commissioning a new blazer, maybe invest that grand in some personal training and yourself? Is that a wrong way to think?

Let's see....if everyone trimmed down and looked good then you wouldn't stand out so much by comparison.

Then people would have to judge you by your personality and sensitivity....[​IMG]