• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant....

alaaro

Reaction score
First of all, my rant. I cannot STAND when people see a Lacoste shirt of mine, and are like "nice Izod". Pisses me off that they don't have it right in the first place, and moreso that I have to correct them...

Where did all this come from? why are they often confused? I dont get it.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they used to be partners. m. lacoste saw the IZOD name and liked it, and asked them if he could use it for his then-new line of shirts. there's a history written somewhere, perhaps on the lacoste website.

the lacoste shirts were known as Izod Lacoste until...someone help me here...the '80's?

/andrew <- was confused the first time he went in an Izod outlet store and saw no crocodiles.

Downtowner

Reaction score
Umm, maybe because Izod used to make shirts with allegators? see below from Izod website:

"It wasn't long before IZOD became associated with quality knit sport shirts. In 1951 legendary tennis player Rene' Lacoste partnered with the David Crystal Co. To market a tennis shirt made of a new pique knit. IZOD's popularity soared as an increasing number of celebrities and sportsmen were seen wearing IZOD shirts."

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got a couple details wrong...

the name 'IZOD' came from a tailor shop in london. the man who started the Izod company, Vin Draddy, was traveling in london and bought the name from Jack Izod, who was ready to retire. this was in the early 1900's.

lacoste partnered with the izod company to market (and manufacture? ) the shirts in the 50's, but his shirts with the crocodile had been in existence since the '30's.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
So this explains why there are now separate Izod and Lacoste stores.

Now I get it.

Bradford - who still thought they were the same company.

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
I worked at a campus shop in New Orleans in the early 1960's. It was upper-medium priced. As I remember, there were only two brands that refused to sell to us, as we were not good enough; Chemise LaCoste by Izod and Canoe. Back then, most knit shirts went for about $5; LaCoste was $9.
I watched with interest in later years as both companies sank away in popularity and prestige.
A few years ago only places like Pennys' sold Canoe; now Filene's sells 8 ounces of the stuff for $14.99.
Izod was always searching for ways to get the LaCostes made cheaper and cheaper for the US market; no longer in France; first it went to Hong Kong and then Singapore. Eventually it wound up at Pennys' too. Then LaCoste severed the relationship with Izod. The brand had never lost its cache or its high price in Europe. After a few years absence from these shores, LaCoste reintroduced it here; mostly French-made at $69.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I worked at a campus shop in New Orleans in the early 1960's. It was upper-medium priced. As I remember, there were only two brands that refused to sell to us, as we were not good enough; Chemise LaCoste by Izod and Canoe.
Canoe, Canoe?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canoe, Canoe?
An expensive, sweet-smelling cologne popular in the early to middle '60's (along with various lime and lemon concoctions of supposedly British heritage). Jerrysfriend is right in saying that "Canoe" and "Izod crocodile shirts" were considered prestige items on campus back then.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have another rant regarding Lacoste as long as we are on the subject:

Why do Lacoste stores in the USA sell polo shirts at $69 each, but with a crocodile that is not embroidered? They simply use a patch that is sewn and glued onto the shirt. Not only is this in my opinion quite shoddy in terms of quality for money spent, but also looks nowhere as good as an embroidered logo.

Now, oddly enough the simple white t-shirts (which cost about half of the price of a polo) have an embroidered logo, so I ask: what gives? As well, sometimes as the logo is so badly attached to the shirt, it is itchy against the skin...which is absolutely ridiculous regardless the price of the shirt.

I do not understand why they simply do not embroider the logo like almost every other company.

Jon.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
(Bradford @ 10 Aug. 2004, 12:38) Canoe, Canoe?
An expensive, sweet-smelling cologne popular in the early to middle '60's (along with various lime and lemon concoctions of supposedly British heritage). Jerrysfriend is right in saying that "Canoe" and "Izod crocodile shirts" were considered prestige items on campus back then.
I know - wasn't that what the girl said in the TV ads, "canoe, canoe." Bradford

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know - wasn't that what the girl said in the TV ads, "canoe, canoe." Bradford
It's increasingly scary that I can remember this ad (especially since I'm only 25)
tounge.gif

Phil

Reaction score
what irks me about lacoste shirts is the tag on the inside. It states "designed in france, made in singapore". I have no issue with outsourcing per se, but dont put designed in France please. its the same design that has been around for 50 years. ok, maybe they make ever so slight adjustments to some of their more edgier garments. but the original pique polo hasnt changed an iota for as long as I can remember. Telling me that it is designed in france, yet made in singapore just bothers me. Ive picked up a few lacoste polos each year for the past 3 years, and I have noticed a marked decline in the amount that is actually made in France. Big surprise though, the prices havent changed now that they are made in Singapore.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an italian made lacoste polo I got from Bluefly (must be a couple years old) that has an embroidered white/silver crocodile and a decidely different cut and collar than the standard line (I also have a couple designed in France, made in Peru versions). The Italian made one is nice, it's a slimmer fit, and has an uneven vented hem. The collar is a little floppy, and larger than the standard collar; there are two buttons on the front placket and one actually on the collar. If I button the placket buttons, it sits quite nicely, and I often get compliments on it.

Anyone seen these and know if they're still available anywhere? I'd love another, outside of the basic white.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads