• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rant: The Perpetual Dieter

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who knows one of these people, probably everyone. They're always "about to get back on their diet". The diet they've never actually been on. These are the people who have been overweight for the last decade, and always seem to have some new diet idea that's really going to work this time, despite the fact that they're too lazy to implement exercise (and most of the time dieting) into their regime. You can usually spot them pretty easily... the ********* at work who carries around a bag of fruit to snack on, somehow believing that eating some fruit is going to counter her entire lifestyle. They usually ask for advice about diet and exercise, you politely give it, knowing full well that they won't listen. Deep down, I think they know that too. I had one friend who was really skinny ask me how to bulk up, the same guy asked me for over 6 years, and he never gained a pound. I even helped him by detailing workouts and diet, and having him workout with me...I think he came a total of 3 times. I believe he somehow expected my answer to change from "just eat a lot and work hard in the gym" to "just take this magic pill". Don't be one of these people...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummmm...okay.

Thanks.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what the entire diet industry thrives off. There's a reason bookstores have an entire section devoted to weight loss, and the zillion 6-minute ab varieties. Lots of people who want to lose weight without actually changing their lifestyle.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
This is what the entire diet industry thrives off. There's a reason bookstores have an entire section devoted to weight loss, and the zillion 6-minute ab varieties. Lots of people who want to lose weight without actually changing their lifestyle.

+1

These people make other people very wealthy.

Capitalizing off other peoples laziness should be applauded, that is my rant.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i lost 45 lbs last year but gained 35 lbs. i blame it on my 3-month long foot disability...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
how many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?

One, but that light bulb really has to want to change!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My weight has never had any correlation to what I eat, ever. Even though I have gone through stages of near starving, all buffet (freshman year college), all-carbs, all-meat, all-vege, no beer, tons of beer, etc.

It has ALWAYS been correlated to how much I exercise...

lizmasc

Reaction score
The best thing about having an healthy lifestyle is not to diet at all. Going on a diet kind of presupposes that you're going to leave it eventually. Better to have a regular and healthy, but not obsessive, lifestyle for the rest of your life. It's like it's better to be one of those people that walk a little bit every day and do the occasional (or regularly) pushups or pullups than someone who goes to the gym for 2 hours everyday and quits after one month
plain.gif
smiley2.gif

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lizmasc
The best thing about having an healthy lifestyle is not to diet at all. Going on a diet kind of presupposes that you're going to leave it eventually. Better to have a regular and healthy, but not obsessive, lifestyle for the rest of your life. It's like it's better to be one of those people that walk a little bit every day and do the occasional (or regularly) pushups or pullups than someone who goes to the gym for 2 hours everyday and quits after one month
plain.gif
smiley2.gif

+1

Lifestyle, not diet.

Taxler

Reaction score
To me, saying you should never diet implies you're never focused on or aware of how much and what you're eating. If you're lifestyle allows that without adverse consequence then great, but I think most peoples wouldn't.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
To me, saying you should never diet implies you're never focused on or aware of how much and what you're eating. If you're lifestyle allows that without adverse consequence then great, but I think most peoples wouldn't.
It's an issue of semantics. "Dieting" meaning a short-term regimen that allows for weight loss/gains. "Lifestyle" meaning the way you live long-term. People who "go on diets" rarely keep the changes they achieve long-term because unless you make permanent changes to the way you live you cannot expect to reap the benefits in the long term. And it's not that hard to do. You just have to exercise some discipline which is like moving mountains for some people. It's 99% mental, takes the effort of forethought and preparation which most people aren't willing to do. Add on the idea that people have bought into that they need to "eat what tastes good" at every meal even if it's a fish & chips and 3 pints. Hedonism in reference to diet is why Americans are so fat as a nation.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiscogooner
It's an issue of semantics.

"Dieting" meaning a short-term regimen that allows for weight loss/gains.
"Lifestyle" meaning the way you live long-term.

People who "go on diets" rarely keep the changes they achieve long-term because unless you make permanent changes to the way you live you cannot expect to reap the benefits in the long term. And it's not that hard to do. You just have to exercise some discipline which is like moving mountains for some people.

It's 99% mental, takes the effort of forethought and preparation which most people aren't willing to do.

Add on the idea that people have bought into that they need to "eat what tastes good" at every meal even if it's a fish & chips and 3 pints. Hedonism in reference to diet is why Americans are so fat as a nation.

I understand what your trying to say, but by those definitions, I don't know of anyone who has a lifestyle so perfectly balanced that they don't require diets to maintain equilibrium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads