• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant: Modern Burberry is Crap

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Years ago I was in Cordings of Piccadilly and saw a raincoat/cape. I've not seen one since. That was a lesson to me. If it's different, you like it, and can afford it ... buy it NOW. You may never see it again. I wish I'd photographed it so I could consider having one made.

I still like rain gear at Cordings.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the term "breaches and bonking."

"That method has something in common with “Bridgerton”, a breaches-and-bonking drama about the marriage market of Regency England. In Netflix’s smash-hit, Queen Charlotte, the real-life consort of George III, appears as a minor character. In this telling she is mixed-race and uses her position to elevate people of colour to peerages. Julia Quinn, the author of the novels on which the show is based, says this tweak allows 21st-century audiences to “all have a little piece of the fairy-tale”. In “The Great”, too, the past is a playground, not a corset."

Panama

Reaction score
You're just being crass now, dude. Why?
Why am I being crass? Being crass is using the United Kingdom's highest military honour for a clothing brand that produces Ventile trench coats. The irony being that Privates were not issued trench coats in WW1. Shame I can't find any Medal of Honor awardees with fashion connections. Bill Blass served in WW2 imagine if he was awarded the Medal of Honor and I launched Corporal Blass MOH as a fashion line.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why am I being crass? Being crass is using the United Kingdom's highest military honour for a clothing brand that produces Ventile trench coats. The irony being that Privates were not issued trench coats in WW1. Shame I can't find any Medal of Honor awardees with fashion connections. Bill Blass served in WW2 imagine if he was awarded the Medal of Honor and I launched Corporal Blass MOH as a fashion line.
Possibly reading a bit too much into this?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Years ago I was in Cordings of Piccadilly and saw a raincoat/cape. I've not seen one since. That was a lesson to me. If it's different, you like it, and can afford it ... buy it NOW. You may never see it again. I wish I'd photographed it so I could consider having one made.

I still like rain gear at Cordings.

Sound advice.

Especially if that garment fits your own style - there's no reason to wait until you've accumulated all the ordinary staples: just buy it. Several of my favourite coats and things were bought in this way, and no regrets from me.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As everyone is being a pedantic arse, I should point out that your conclusion does not follow from his statement.
Your point is valid. Thank goodness for the pedants or else wherever would we be?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the term "breaches and bonking."

"That method has something in common with “Bridgerton”, a breaches-and-bonking drama about the marriage market of Regency England. In Netflix’s smash-hit, Queen Charlotte, the real-life consort of George III, appears as a minor character. In this telling she is mixed-race and uses her position to elevate people of colour to peerages. Julia Quinn, the author of the novels on which the show is based, says this tweak allows 21st-century audiences to “all have a little piece of the fairy-tale”. In “The Great”, too, the past is a playground, not a corset."

First, I just want to point out how strange it is that this thread is now talking about a film - but I guess the original topic was weird too.

Anyway, I think this article sums up for me why I don't like the show:

Nothing to do with actor casting and all that, but when classical orchestras are playing Ariana Grande, even in a 'fantasy' setting... the horror.

Also, the portrayal of a **** scene is, I think, a bit much - even for a fantasy:

https://www.vox.com/22194033/bridgerton-netflix-****-scene-novel

Last edited:

majorhancock

Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I was a huge fan of Burberry's white shirts just 10 years ago and still have one that I treasure, but now I can't find any honest, well-crafted cotton shirts there. Everything is slinky, sleazy, and stretch. Everything Burbuerry is now fashion, not style; flash not quality. I couldn't care less about one's sexual orientation, but quality will always remain quality. Sic transit gloria Burberryi.

GaiusM

Reaction score
This thread has jumped the shark.
Did so on the first page.
The homophobia really added that extra something to this rant, apparently from someone who has been living under a rock for the entirety of this century and possibly longer
"twink" refers to a body type. Taking it as a homophobic slur speaks more to your prejudices than his.
Thanks for poisoning a thread early on with your own biases.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
This thread has jumped the shark.

The whole thread has been a Steeplechase course where all of the obstacles have been replaced with sharks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole thread has been a Steeplechase course where all of the obstacles have been replaced with sharks.
Which means that....we’ve all been....jumping....sharks?

Jumping sharks?
Jumping sharks!
We’ve all jumped the shark!
Oh I get it now!

LaymanX

Reaction score
y'all legit had me searching on eBay for deadstock Burberry, then Aquascutum and now Private White VC.

... I don't even want a trench coat!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
y'all legit had me searching on eBay for deadstock Burberry, then Aquascutum and now Private White VC.

Don’t forget Grenfell.

Panama

Reaction score

I want a Herbert Powe, and I don't even know the fellow. But I read about him on the internet.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
I, too, often feel divested of things when I watch movies.

I was re-watching HBO John Adams miniseries, I was disappointed that the actor, Paul Giamatti was not in fact, the second US President John Adams.

It's like actors pretend to be other people and to enjoy it, one is required to have the capacity to buy into the idea that an actor is not literally a historical figure to be enjoyed or taken at face value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads